none
Unable to install MS .NET 3.51 in Windows 7 x86 or x64 RRS feed

• Question

• This is a little different than the normal.  I build the Windows 7 Enterprise Edition using MDT 2010.  All Windows updates are applied through WSUS.  Within WSUS I declined  KB959209 - Microsoft .NET Framework Family Update x86 as it has been superseded by KB951847 - Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update x86. 

When the build is complete and using the netfx_setupverifier.exe, I only have:

.NET Framework 2.0 SP2
    .NET Framework 4 Client
    .NET Framework 4 Full

Both the 3 and 3.5 .NET Frameworks are missing. 

Going into Windows Features, there is no listing for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.  Checking in the c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework, again both 3 and 3.5 dirs are missing.

I attempted to do a Windows Updates against the MS site but it did not recognize these are being required.  Attempting to load the standalone install give the popup to install via MS Features.

I am at a loss as to why these are not available, especially if they are part of the vanilla OS.  What could have removed them?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Salmageo,

You can find this security update batch will update some DLLs which version numbers were Framework 2.0.

As my previous reply, typically, windows 7 includes framework 3.5.1 by default. From your original post, you said you cannot find Framework 3.5.1 feature switch in your windows 7 machine. So first of all, we suggest you double check this information. If not, we preliminary think your OS was corrupted or wasn’t installed correctly on your machine. So we suggest you can try to re-install your OS first and try it again.

Hope this helps. If you have any finding, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 23, 2011 9:54 AM

All replies

• I do have a 2nd 64bit Windows 7 machine that does show the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1 in Features.  Comparing the two I notice that one has the following Package:

Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385
    Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514

The system without .NET only has the newest foundation package, courtesy of SP1.

Still at a loss,

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Hi Salmageo,

Thank you for posting.

From your latest reply, this version number is the Windows version number. Windows 7 includes .Net Framework 3.5.1 by default. So I suggest you to check if your Windows was installed correctly on your machine or not.

Hope this helps. If you have any findings, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 20, 2011 4:47 AM
  • The builds were made using the ISOs from MS MVLC.  My Task Sequence is to run the installation and the second step is to run the MS Updates via a local WSUS.  I am checking snapshots to see where in the process it may have skipped or removed .NET v3.5.

The only thing I can think that may have removed is if the unattend.xml has a way of not installing it.  Is this event possible?

The 2nd point is where within the registry Windows Features populates it's items?

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Checking the WSUS logs for my particular build, it does show as the Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 x86 [KB2446710] as being successfully applied.  But all I have under c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework is

v1.0.3705
    v1.1.4322
    v2.0.50727
    v4.0.30319

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Hi Salmageo,

You can find this security update batch will update some DLLs which version numbers were Framework 2.0.

As my previous reply, typically, windows 7 includes framework 3.5.1 by default. From your original post, you said you cannot find Framework 3.5.1 feature switch in your windows 7 machine. So first of all, we suggest you double check this information. If not, we preliminary think your OS was corrupted or wasn’t installed correctly on your machine. So we suggest you can try to re-install your OS first and try it again.

Hope this helps. If you have any finding, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Monday, May 23, 2011 9:54 AM