Performance Wizard reports "An error occured while parsing EntityName" RRS feed

• General discussion

• I think I've found a small bug in the Performance Wizard when profiling an ASP.NET application. If you enter at least two parameters to a page url on the query string (e.g. http://localhost/myapp/mypage.aspx?param1=1&param2=2) Performance Wizard reports the following error: "An error occured while parsing EntityName".

After much frustration I determined that this was due to the ampersand used to seperate parameters on the query string. If you escape the ampersand  (e.g. http://localhost/myapp/mypage.aspx?param1=1&param2=2) then everything behaves as expected.

I would have thought the Performance Wizard would ensure that the url was properly encoded before attempting to write it to whatever xml document it does.

Anyway, I hope this saves somebody some frustration.

Friday, December 15, 2006 11:57 AM

All replies

• I cannot thank you enough for posting this! You just saved me half a day and a lot of frustration indeed!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Thanks a lot!! Great post! Worked fine here!
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Thanks, this saved me a lot of frustration.  It's unfortunate that you reported this years ago and yet the problem still exists in the latest Visual Studio.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Thank you for this! Saved a lot of frustration.

6 years later, issue still there. Maybe VS2012 will fix this.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:54 PM
  • Almost 6 years later I just hit this with VS2010. Thank you VERY much for saving me a ton of diagnostic time. No thanks at all to Microsoft for not providing any indication of what causes a recognized error.

I've been working with Microsoft tools for a couple decades, I've swallowed the KoolAid, so to speak. But I have to say, when it comes to things like this, I absolutely hate working with these tools and technologies. I'm sorry, but this one has really set me off because I know there are times when I do spend days trying to diagnose stuff like this. And while Microsoft employees are getting paid for their time no matter what they're doing, as an independent contractor I can't bill my clients for days spent on stupid crap like this. This general class of development issues is at the heart of where using Microsoft tools costs us time and money rather than saving the same compared to other tools. Typical issues like "a file is missing, replace the file and try again": What file!? Or "An error occurred, restart" : What error?! And when we look at documentation for help we get stuff like "Method GetFoo() - returns the value of Foo." : Yeah, no kidding, what heck is Foo and why would I want it?!  Microsoft seriously needs to address this general issue of "black-boxifying" their technologies, as a matter of long-term prosperity of the brand.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:35 PM