none
Printer driver UI and Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have printer driver source code that I have used to build drivers for all versions of Windows from Windows 2000 up through Windows 7 x64. I have used the Windows DDK 3790.1830 to build these drivers. I need to build a Windows 8 driver. I installed Windows 8, Visual Studio 2012, and the WDK 8. I imported the source code using the Visual Studio "Convert Sources/Dirs" menu option. I built a new driver, test signed it, and successfully installed it on Windows 8.

The driver appears to work. If I redirect the output to a file, I can see my printer commands and everything looks correct. In the control panel "Devices and Printer" if I right click my printer and choose "Printing Preferences" I get a message box stating "Operation could not be completed". If I choose "Printer Properties" I get a message box stating "The printer driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want to install the driver now?"

This seems odd since the driver did install. I would appreciate any assistance regarding why I cannot see any of my printer or document property dialog pages. I did attach debugger to the spoolsv service and I can see that it loads my UI DLL. But obviously there is another problem.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:43 PM

Answers