RDL File RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a newbie in SSRS; I have just an RDL file and I am trying to open it in VS 2008.

I am able to see the design but unable to view the report preview. Can anyone help me with the following:

1) Aren't the data sources automatically imported when you bring in the RDL file to a new project?

2) If the RDL file was created using "Shared Data Sources", what exactly must be done.

Appreciate any help here!

Thanks.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:59 AM

Answers

• Ok,

This Keyobservation.rds is a data source file.  You can also import this in shared data sourec folder.

If you do not have this file and you have data source details (like, SQL server name and Credentials), you can create new using following setps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159165.aspx

Hope this helps.

-Chintak
    • Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Monday, August 16, 2010 9:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pinky82 Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:49 PM
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which type of proect you are importing the RDL file? Try importing it in a Report Server project.

Also, Embedded data source are imported automatically.

-Chintak
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:18 AM
  • I am importing it in a Report Server project. I can see the design part of it but when I try and look at the preview report it throws the following error "An error occured during local report processing. Could not find the file "......\Keyobservation.rds"
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 3:32 AM
  • Ok,

This Keyobservation.rds is a data source file.  You can also import this in shared data sourec folder.

If you do not have this file and you have data source details (like, SQL server name and Credentials), you can create new using following setps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159165.aspx

Hope this helps.

-Chintak
    • Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Monday, August 16, 2010 9:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pinky82 Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:49 PM
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:37 AM