none
Copy performance

Question

• Hello, Iam using Azcopy.exe to copy a large number of files from a local disk to an Azure storage container. The files consist of mostly iso files (100MB -> 5 GB). The volumes is about 150 GB of data. We have an express route with 1 Gbit p/s dedicated troughput which is configured for the public peer. The source disk is located on SSD. The max troughput of the server NIC is 10Gbps. The behaviour iam seeing is that it gives me a lot of spikes in network throughput. It does 800 Mbit - 1Gbit for a couple of seconds and then only a couple of Mbits per seconds for a few seconds. The spikes seem fairly consistent. See the picture below. x = 25 seconds and y = 1Gbps. I believe this has nothing to do with a component not being stable, but more to do with how the OS is behaving. Does anyone have an idea what this could be? It is not the opening and closing of files, because it does this with a large ISo file as well for the duration of the copy of the file. Secondly, an opening operation for a file should not take a few seconds.

Monday, December 19, 2016 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

We are checking on the query and will get back to you soon on this.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Regards,

Bhanu Prakash

• Marked as answer by Prakash Bhanu Friday, June 2, 2017 4:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Oekeloen Friday, June 2, 2017 6:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Prakash Bhanu Friday, June 2, 2017 8:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Prakash Bhanu Friday, June 2, 2017 8:34 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 7:59 PM
  • Could you share more details for troubleshooting?

1. What's the version of AzCopy you are using?

2. What's the Windows version you are using? And what's the configuration - CPU cores, RAM, etc...

3. How long does it take to transfer 150GB in total?

4. When does the spike happens? At the beginning of the transfer or consistently throughout the entire transfer?

5. Could you share some local disk perf chart also?

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:38 AM
  • This is not a solution, so do not mark it as an anwser... You did never even get back to me as you wrote, so it is even more worse that would consider this an anwser.
    • Edited by Oekeloen Friday, June 2, 2017 7:00 AM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 6:58 AM