where to place EXE file RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an expert with VB6 and have recently been using 2005 VB Express. Since I'm also an expert with Java it's not too bad. It's like I'm doing Java, but using VB! An issue I have is where the EXE file gets stored after compilation. VB6 creates one output and one output only, which is the EXE file. With VB6 I can easily save all EXE files in the same folder. Anytime I recompile a project it will remember and write the EXE file to the same place again. 2005 VB creates a "bin" and "object" folder off the folder where the project is, and within each of those folders is "debug" and "release". I only want one thing! I want the EXE file I just compiled! I do not need or want any of the stuff in these created folders. So I have to go in, find, and manually copy the EXE file to a common folder, then delete the other stuff. This is really a nuisance. I might see about hooking some process into the compile to do this for me, but that would involve research.

In VB6, packaging an application is an additional step. If I want to package an application for others to install and use, I do that and don't mind. Very few of my applications are for others. Some are, but most are for my own use. I would prefer 2005 VB not to automatically create a deployment package for me since I don't want that.

Also, is there some way to have the release version compiled by default rather than the debug version? Any help with these issues would be appreciated.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:21 PM

Answers

•  

You are correct that VB 2005 has a much different model for building/placing binaries than VB6, but there are pros/cons with each approach.   In any case, here's some options for you.

1) If you goto the properties for a project, (compile tab) you can control where the output binaries get written.  There also is build events button that you can use to do post build events -> e.g. you could have whatever binaries you want copied whereever you want, etc....

2) Choosing retail vs. debug is a bit tricker.   By default, VB uses a "simplified" model where if you press Ctrl-F5 (run w/o debugging) it builds the retail build, but if you press F5 (run with debugging), it builds the debug version.   If you bring up the tools/options page, goto the projects node, and choose the "show advanced configurations" checkbox, you can goto the compile page and pick exactly what configuration you want to build.

3) Lastly, I'm not sure what you are referring to w.r.t. deployment package.    If you create a windows form app (for instance), there is no deployment package that is created when you build it.   You either have to add a setup project to your solution and build an .msi or you can publish your app using clickonce.   I'm not sure what you are doing though.

Hope that helps.

Toddap_MS

Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:12 PM

All replies

•  

You are correct that VB 2005 has a much different model for building/placing binaries than VB6, but there are pros/cons with each approach.   In any case, here's some options for you.

1) If you goto the properties for a project, (compile tab) you can control where the output binaries get written.  There also is build events button that you can use to do post build events -> e.g. you could have whatever binaries you want copied whereever you want, etc....

2) Choosing retail vs. debug is a bit tricker.   By default, VB uses a "simplified" model where if you press Ctrl-F5 (run w/o debugging) it builds the retail build, but if you press F5 (run with debugging), it builds the debug version.   If you bring up the tools/options page, goto the projects node, and choose the "show advanced configurations" checkbox, you can goto the compile page and pick exactly what configuration you want to build.

3) Lastly, I'm not sure what you are referring to w.r.t. deployment package.    If you create a windows form app (for instance), there is no deployment package that is created when you build it.   You either have to add a setup project to your solution and build an .msi or you can publish your app using clickonce.   I'm not sure what you are doing though.

Hope that helps.

Toddap_MS

Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:12 PM
  • Thanks!

Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:01 PM