Safe Mode in Windows 8 DP?

Question

• How do you enter Safe Mode in the developer preview?  I'm having video driver issues with my laptop that are preventing normal mode from fully booting (gets to the logon screen and flicker fest 5000 starts).  However I see no clear way of getting to safe mode after pressing F8 before the splash screen.

I can understand dumbing down the interface for novice users but please don't take our diagnostic tools away from us more advanced users.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:03 PM

Answers

• Chris,

You're right, Press and Hold SHIFT + F8 would have been more exact.  Thanks for clarifiying that for the community and I'm glad that you were successful.  Interestingly, there is also another way to get to Safe Mode, and that is to use the System Configuration GUI - aka msconfig.exe from within Windows, here are the steps:

1) WIN+r, msconfig.exe, OK - to open the msconfig gui

2) Click on the Boot tab and check the Safe Boot check box

3) Choose the type of Safe Mode by selecting one of the radio buttons below the Safe boot checkbox.  Minimal for normal Safe Mode, Alternate Shell for Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and Network for Safe Mode with Networking.

4) Click OK and restart your PC, it will have you log on with an administrative account and then put you in the mode you selected.

Keep in mind when doing it this way, you will have to undo it to get back to normal boot and you also can run msconfig.exe from safe mode with command prompt.

Regards,

Gary

Gary Miller | Escalation Engineer | Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3) One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052 USA http://support.microsoft.com
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:54 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Fear not, safe mode is there.  Pressing Shift+F8 during initial start up should get you there.

Regards,

Gary

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:38 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Gary,

Your response would have been slightly more helpful if you would have specified that you need to Press AND HOLD Shift+F8 during boot.  I tried numerous times without luck until I decided to try pressing and holding the keys. 

Without your response I never would have thought of using Shift.  Much appreciated :)

Austin

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:16 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Chris,

You're right, Press and Hold SHIFT + F8 would have been more exact.  Thanks for clarifiying that for the community and I'm glad that you were successful.  Interestingly, there is also another way to get to Safe Mode, and that is to use the System Configuration GUI - aka msconfig.exe from within Windows, here are the steps:

1) WIN+r, msconfig.exe, OK - to open the msconfig gui

2) Click on the Boot tab and check the Safe Boot check box

3) Choose the type of Safe Mode by selecting one of the radio buttons below the Safe boot checkbox.  Minimal for normal Safe Mode, Alternate Shell for Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and Network for Safe Mode with Networking.

4) Click OK and restart your PC, it will have you log on with an administrative account and then put you in the mode you selected.

Keep in mind when doing it this way, you will have to undo it to get back to normal boot and you also can run msconfig.exe from safe mode with command prompt.

Regards,

Gary

Gary Miller | Escalation Engineer | Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3) One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052 USA http://support.microsoft.com
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:54 PM
    Answerer