SQL Server requirements for TFS ? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like know if there are any special requirements of installing SQL Server for Team Foundation Server (TFS). I understand the Full Text Search needs to be installed but I would appreciate if someone can provide a more comprehensive requirements list for SQL server installation for TFS.
    At this point, I am not sure if the TFS will be installed on the same system where SQL will be installed. All I know is its a SQL Server 2008 R2 standard.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Don
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Don,

Thanks for the post.

1) TFS can be installed with SQL on the same server or as a distributed environment with a seperate server fro SQL databse engine, SQL reporting services and SQL analysis services.

2) To list the required SQL services for TFS, you need SQL Database engine, Full text search, SQL client tools connectivity (if SQL analysis services is installed on a remote server than the TFS server), SQL Reporting service (Optional), SQL Analysis services (Optional) and SQL management studio.

3) SQL Reporting services is optional. If you wish to take advantage of the TFS reporting capabilities you need to install SQL reporting services and SQL Analysis services. If you dont need TFS reoprts, then these two components are not required.

4) TFS 2010 can work with SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2 . The editions supported are SQL express (for minimal installation without Reports), SQL Standard and SQL Enterprise. SQL Developer edition is supported in a dev environment and not in Production.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if this helps! mark the post answered.

ArunRama, TFS Installation and Setup team. Microsoft GTSC is hiring for TFS support team. If interested, please mail me at itsarunmcp@hotmail.com
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Hi Don,

Arun has provided useful information in the reply, you can refer to it.

In addition, there are other suggestions for you to refer:

1. Download the current version of TFS Installation Guide. It will help verify that the operating system on every server where you will install a TFS component meets TFS requirements.

2. SQL Server Database Engine and Full text search feature are required for TFS. You should install these two features on the same instance of SQL Server.

3. SQL Server Analysis Services and Reporting Services features are required for TFS reporting.You can install one or both of these features on the same server as Team Foundation Server, or you can install each feature on a different server from each other and from Team Foundation Server.

If SQL Server Reporting Services is not on the server that is running Team Foundation Server and you are using reporting, you must install Client Tools Connectivity on Team Foundation Server.

4. Here is an article describe install SQL server for TFS setp by setp.

How to: Manually Install SQL Server 2008 for Team Foundation Server

I hope this information will help resolve this issue.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 9, 2011 8:44 AM
  • Hi Don,

1. On the Server Configuration page, click Use the same account for all SQL Server services, or type the name of a domain account or NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE in Account Name for every service.

• If you specify a domain account, type its password in Password.
    • If you use NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE, leave Password blank.
    • If you click Use the same account for all SQL Server services, you may still have to manually type account information for some services.

In the Startup Type column, verify that Automatic appears for all services that you can edit, and then click Next.

2. You can use a domain account for Full Text Search service.

3. Neither Manual or Automatic is ok for Full Text service Startup type.

4. SQL Server Collation Requirements for Team Foundation Server

5. As far as I know, TFS 2010 installation do have Hardware Recommendations, it needs specify capacity for different users’ number, but do not have any restriction of file location, you can design it according to your system requirement.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Don,

Thanks for the post.

1) TFS can be installed with SQL on the same server or as a distributed environment with a seperate server fro SQL databse engine, SQL reporting services and SQL analysis services.

2) To list the required SQL services for TFS, you need SQL Database engine, Full text search, SQL client tools connectivity (if SQL analysis services is installed on a remote server than the TFS server), SQL Reporting service (Optional), SQL Analysis services (Optional) and SQL management studio.

3) SQL Reporting services is optional. If you wish to take advantage of the TFS reporting capabilities you need to install SQL reporting services and SQL Analysis services. If you dont need TFS reoprts, then these two components are not required.

4) TFS 2010 can work with SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2 . The editions supported are SQL express (for minimal installation without Reports), SQL Standard and SQL Enterprise. SQL Developer edition is supported in a dev environment and not in Production.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if this helps! mark the post answered.

ArunRama, TFS Installation and Setup team. Microsoft GTSC is hiring for TFS support team. If interested, please mail me at itsarunmcp@hotmail.com
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Hi Don,

Arun has provided useful information in the reply, you can refer to it.

In addition, there are other suggestions for you to refer:

1. Download the current version of TFS Installation Guide. It will help verify that the operating system on every server where you will install a TFS component meets TFS requirements.

2. SQL Server Database Engine and Full text search feature are required for TFS. You should install these two features on the same instance of SQL Server.

3. SQL Server Analysis Services and Reporting Services features are required for TFS reporting.You can install one or both of these features on the same server as Team Foundation Server, or you can install each feature on a different server from each other and from Team Foundation Server.

If SQL Server Reporting Services is not on the server that is running Team Foundation Server and you are using reporting, you must install Client Tools Connectivity on Team Foundation Server.

4. Here is an article describe install SQL server for TFS setp by setp.

How to: Manually Install SQL Server 2008 for Team Foundation Server

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    Friday, December 9, 2011 8:44 AM
  • TFS will be installed on the same system as SQL Server along with reporting.

Typically a domain account is used for services but if a domain account is not available, should all services use NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE account or anything specific (Does TFS has any special requirements?)

Full Text Search service is using NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE account. Should it be changed to NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE or to a domain account if available?

Also, Full Text service start mode is set to Manual by default. Should it be changed to Automatic or it does not matter?

During installation, by default the collations selected were SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS for Database Engine and Latin1_General_CI_AS for Analysis Services. Will there be any issues if DE & SSAS have different collations?

Finally, is there a best practice recommendation for file location in regards to performance ? The system has 3 drives. I was planning on putting

1. SQL installation/binaries on drive with OS; 
    2. User and system databases on another drive
    3. Backup files on the last drive which is kinda slow.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Don
    Monday, December 12, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi Don,

1. On the Server Configuration page, click Use the same account for all SQL Server services, or type the name of a domain account or NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE in Account Name for every service.

• If you specify a domain account, type its password in Password.
    • If you use NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE, leave Password blank.
    • If you click Use the same account for all SQL Server services, you may still have to manually type account information for some services.

In the Startup Type column, verify that Automatic appears for all services that you can edit, and then click Next.

2. You can use a domain account for Full Text Search service.

3. Neither Manual or Automatic is ok for Full Text service Startup type.

4. SQL Server Collation Requirements for Team Foundation Server

5. As far as I know, TFS 2010 installation do have Hardware Recommendations, it needs specify capacity for different users’ number, but do not have any restriction of file location, you can design it according to your system requirement.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Before I started the SQL Server installation on production server, I tested 3 different installations of TFS on my personal PC (VM). I tried different options for SQL Server settings (Account, Collations etc.) and TFS was installed without any errors all 3 times.

Don
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Hi Don,

It seems you have resolved the issue.

At last, how you install SQL product for your TFS 2010?

Thanks, :)

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:31 AM