High performance movie player control RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    I have to develop a high performance movie player. The most important specs are:

1. Movie files <1Gb
    2. Backward and forward realtime scrolling - and the users might scroll really fast!
    3. A nice to have would be indexing for chapter selection
    4. The application is going to run in XP or Windows 7 (whatever fits best)

I have been thinking about using a Windows Media Foundation, Windows Media Player control or QuickTime control but I'm really not sure where to go.

Any thoughts and experiences are most wellcome!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:52 PM

Answers

• 1.  You're better off with Win7 then.  It contains more format support, better security, etc.

2.  MF has native support for .MOV and .AVI but both of these are container formats.  You need to also know how the video inside them is encoded.  In general, .MOV (and .MP4) are better because they can handle variable frame rate sources whereas AVI was designed for fixed frame rate.

3.  Yes.  .MP4 with H.264 is something you should consider since Win7 supports them.

The WMP control is not going to give you fast seeking (for scrubbing), especially in reverse.  This is a huge problem to solve.  The reasons have been covered a number of times in the microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.video newsgroup (the best way to search this is Google Groups).  Note that MF is designed to replace DirectShow which is the subject of the aforementioned newsgroup.  MF is probably a better choice if you don't need XP support but the problem is the same, AFAIK.

Please use Vote As Helpful (green up arrow at top-left of posts) and Mark As Answer where appropriate.
    My dshow site is http://tmhare.mvps.org.
    • Marked as answer by Toke Boisen Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:38 PM

All replies

• Media Foundation has limited support for Vista (limited media types and functionality) and none for XP.

1.  It's not clear on what you mean by "whatever fits best."  Is XP support a requirement or not?

2.  What containers and decoders do you intend to support?  The speed of seeking in those streams is dependent on the demux / decoder for those streams.

Please use Vote As Helpful (green up arrow at top-left of posts) and Mark As Answer where appropriate.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:28 PM
  • 1. The system architecture is not defined yet so I can choose either XP or 2007. XP support is not a requirement.
    2. I haven't decided if the control should run in winforms or wpf. Again I can choose which ever do the best job. The movie formats should be one of the following: mov or avi. Again I can decide. Exactly which decoder to use is not decided yet so we are free to choose.
    3. The demux is used to split the stream into audio and video right? I don't what to answer here... Any suggestions?

I tried to do a prototype with WMP but it really didn't do the job. First of all I was not able to reverse realtime.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:47 PM
  • 1.  You're better off with Win7 then.  It contains more format support, better security, etc.

2.  MF has native support for .MOV and .AVI but both of these are container formats.  You need to also know how the video inside them is encoded.  In general, .MOV (and .MP4) are better because they can handle variable frame rate sources whereas AVI was designed for fixed frame rate.

3.  Yes.  .MP4 with H.264 is something you should consider since Win7 supports them.

The WMP control is not going to give you fast seeking (for scrubbing), especially in reverse.  This is a huge problem to solve.  The reasons have been covered a number of times in the microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.video newsgroup (the best way to search this is Google Groups).  Note that MF is designed to replace DirectShow which is the subject of the aforementioned newsgroup.  MF is probably a better choice if you don't need XP support but the problem is the same, AFAIK.

• Marked as answer by Toke Boisen Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:38 PM