NET 4.0 Client Profile - No C# Compiler? RRS feed

• Question

• At this blog post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jgoldb/archive/2009/05/27/net-framework-4-client-profile-introduction.aspx

I read that "Visual Basic compiler and other compilers " are not supported in the Client Profile. (In the feature list under Miscellaneous)

Means this that the C# compiler is also not supported? Have they changed this until now? Whats about Silverlight 4?
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• I assume this means that the compiler itself is not included in the client profile download.

Of course the client profile can run applications written in VB.NET.

Mark the best replies as answers!
    • Proposed as answer by Ter-ray-cy Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:46 AM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:37 AM
  • No, you can still develop client applications with c#, etc. But it has to target the client profile.

• Proposed as answer by Ter-ray-cy Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:46 AM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:43 AM
  • No I don't want to start programming with client profile ^^ - sorry a little missunderstanding caused by me

My question is: Is it still possible to compile C# files at runtime using the CSharpCodeProvider? I use some C#-files on client maschines to provide some skripting possibilities which will dynamically compiled.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Yes, it is still possible to do compile C# files at runtime.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

As you may already read about, the .NET Fremework Client Profile version is designed to be a smaller .NET Framework 4. 

As a reliable approach, you could first check whether the assemblies your application uses at runtime is included in the .NET Framework Client Profile version. The following blog lists the assemblies that will be included in the RTM release of the Client Profile.

.NET Framework Client Profile Assemblies

Some additional info:

1. SmallestDotNet: On the Size of the .NET Framework

2. Towards a Smaller .NET 4 - Details on the Client Profile and Downloading .NET

Please mark the right answer at right time.
    Thanks,
    Sam
    • Edited by SamAgain Friday, May 28, 2010 4:08 AM refine
    • Proposed as answer by SamAgain Friday, May 28, 2010 4:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by SamAgain Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:59 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 4:05 AM