none
What version of .Net framework is needed? RRS feed

• Question

• First I want to appologize for what is probably the billionth time this has been asked, but I did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have written a windows form app using C# in visual studio 2005. It was built in Release mode for Any CPU. What do I need to run it on other machines?  I have tried .net framework 1.1 and 2.0 with no success, but since I am trying to get my dad who is 3000km away to get the downloads on his own I have no idea if he is doing it right or not.  Is there something else needed to run it? 

What files do I need to send in order for the app to work? I only sent the exe, are others needed.

Since this is probably a very common problem I am surprised that there isnt an article out there that covers this explicitly, which would be far more helpful than all of the diagrams filled with labelled grey boxes but utterly lacking any info on what to do with the contents of the boxes or how they interact.  Then again I probably just looking in the wrong places.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tribulation

Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

All that you need to run a C# Windows Form App on a target machine is the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package. It's usually available as a Windows Update however you can explicitly download it free from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Also, if your application uses some third party components, you would need to provide a redstributable for that too (usually given by the third party vendor). However if you have created your application plainly using Microsoft provided default set of components (i.e. nothing more from third party was installed on .NET for development of applications) you do not need anything more.

Hope that Helps,

Amol A. Vaidya.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

All that you need to run a C# Windows Form App on a target machine is the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package. It's usually available as a Windows Update however you can explicitly download it free from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Also, if your application uses some third party components, you would need to provide a redstributable for that too (usually given by the third party vendor). However if you have created your application plainly using Microsoft provided default set of components (i.e. nothing more from third party was installed on .NET for development of applications) you do not need anything more.

Hope that Helps,

Amol A. Vaidya.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:51 AM
  • Hi, While troubleshooting an issue w/ formatting the Visual Studio 2005 editor window I recieved an error telling me to install the .NET J# Redistributable Package. This was a surprise because I'm not working w/ J# nor am I distributing anything. I suppose you could argue my application will be distributed to a web server but, I'm not using J#. Either way, I installed the Framework as requested.

Later I began to have problems with Visual Studio consuming the CPU - which is addressed, but not to my satisfaction, here: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=169791&siteid=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

This lengthy post, which I'll be posting to next, suggests installing the latest service packs and .NET Framework. I tried but the installer told me I had to first uninstall another .NET Framework file - I can't recall which one now as there are a dozen different programs associated w/ VS and everytime I try to do something I end up going down another long path.

Anyway, needless to say, at this point I'm confused. This and future issues would be greatly assisted if you could please help me clarify:

---

Do I need to have .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5, and all the hotfixes and redistributable files? And if so, why?

Why does Add Remove Programs list the .NET Framework 1.1 and .NET Framework 1.1 HOTFIX KB886903 both as 795MB? Does one replace the other?

Does .NET Framework 2.0 replace or add to 1.1? Does .NET Framework 3.0 replace or add to 1.1?

Why does Visual Studio About window say Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.5027 when I didn't even have that installed on my computer? Was it previously deleted? Why should VS care - isn't VS capable of being used w/ all versions of .NET Framework? Should I utilize that About window, as I have in other MS applications, to determine what SP's and Framework versions the application is using, or is it unreliable; e.g., if I accidentally delete a SP will the message in About change? Can I even rely on the Add Remove Programs when it tells me the HOTFIX is exactly the same size as the original install?

---

BTW: Most of these installs were installed by either the Windows Installer web site or by the employee, no longer here, that had used this computer. Also, multiple versions of Visual Studio have been on this machine.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:12 PM