none
Outlook addin Configuration file not loaded RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an Outlook 2010 addin using VS 2010, VSTO 2010 with customization for .NET framework 4.0 so that the same addin can be used for Outlook 2007. In the addin startup, i am fetching some appsetting value from app.config file. When i am trying to install and load this addin in Outlook 2007, it is not able to fetch the value from configuration settings. This is even true when i run the setup on Outlook 2010. Please let me know how can i solve this issue. I am using Windows Installer to install the addin for Outlook addin setup.

Why i am not able to fetch the value from app.config file ? I am not able to understand that. Please note that the other libraries i am using also have their own app.config files but i guess that should not be an issue.

Thanks

Kulvinder Singh

Kulvinder Singh
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Kulvinder,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I try to reproduce your issue via following steps:

1.       Create a Outlook 2010 add-in project in Visual Studio 2010.

2.       Right Click mouse button on the project at solution explorer.

3.       Click “Properties” menu item.

4.       Click “Setting” tab in the Properties window.

5.       Set a string value which named “Greet” in the list.

6.       Add a MessageBox in the ThisAddIn_Startup method to access the configuration which I set.

7.       Create a Visual installer project in the solution to distribute the add-in. the details of how to create a Visual installer to distribute VSTO add-in like that http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/4db358d8-11f3-4665-941d-61e9c68f8300/#48f5ab58-21a4-4b21-845a-6ba2e3466952 .

8.       Install it under Office 2010 and test. It works fine under Outlook 2010.

9.       Copy the installer to the particular machine which use Office 2007 and install it. It works fine too.

I’m wondering that I missed some steps to reproduce your issue correct. Would you please show me your steps for further research?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Hi,

I think what you are missing is that i have multiple class libraries which are being referenced in Add in project and each of them have their own app.config files. I am not able to think other than that.

Thanks

Kulvinder Singh

Kulvinder Singh
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:00 PM
  • I ran into this issue a while back.  If you're using the VSTO that came with VSsp1, there was a poorly documented change to how the manifest has to be referenced in the setup project.  See this post for details:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/653444/visual-studio-sp1-or-specifically-vsto-sp1-issue-with-config-file-location

• Marked as answer by Kulvinder Friday, June 10, 2011 5:53 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:58 PM