none
Desgining Verilog compiler using C# RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm developing a compiler for verilog using C#. As the verilog is a concurrent language, I would like to know how the IL code generated can be executed so that I can achieve concurrency.

Thanks,

V Vireen.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:15 PM

Answers

• HiMike,

Links were quite informative but could not find information on desgining compiler and executing a concurrent language (verilog here) using C#. Any information on this will be more helpfull.

Thanks in advance,

V Vireen.

Hi Vireen,

I show that message is because you have said: " I would like to know how the IL code generated can be executed", and I try to explain, the IL code cannot be excuted directly, sorry I didn't make me clear. 

The article I have mentioned in my last post: Create a Language Compiler for the .NET Framework  shows how to design a compiler. And yes, it is a little general.

For more such information, these books should be helpful: <Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation> authored by Steven S.Muchnick, you can take a try.

I hope this will be helpful.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Vireen,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

IL code cannot be executed directly. The CLR will convert the IL code to native machine code by JIT, you can know more about JIT here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154580 

And you may be interesting to this article: Create a Language Compiler for the .NET Framework 

In addition, this article should be helpful too: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z1zx9t92.aspx 

When the C# program is executed, the assembly is loaded into the CLR, which might take various actions based on the information in the manifest. Then, if the security requirements are met, the CLR performs just in time (JIT) compilation to convert the IL code to native machine instructions.The CLR also provides other services related to automatic garbage collection, exception handling, and resource management. Code that is executed by the CLR is sometimes referred to as "managed code," in contrast to "unmanaged code" which is compiled into native machine language that targets a specific system. The following diagram illustrates the compile-time and run-time relationships of C# source code files, the .NET Framework class libraries, assemblies, and the CLR.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:09 AM
  • HiMike,

Links were quite informative but could not find information on desgining compiler and executing a concurrent language (verilog here) using C#. Any information on this will be more helpfull.

Thanks in advance,

V Vireen.

Saturday, March 3, 2012 7:11 AM
  • HiMike,

Thanks in advance,

V Vireen.

Hi Vireen,

I show that message is because you have said: " I would like to know how the IL code generated can be executed", and I try to explain, the IL code cannot be excuted directly, sorry I didn't make me clear. 

The article I have mentioned in my last post: Create a Language Compiler for the .NET Framework  shows how to design a compiler. And yes, it is a little general.

For more such information, these books should be helpful: <Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation> authored by Steven S.Muchnick, you can take a try.

Best regards,

Mike Feng

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:16 AM