How to create a new form in different document library on form submission? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to set up a workflow based on one central form that generates other different forms in separate document libraries depending on its values. I'm working in a repair shop, so when an item arrives to be repaired someone will add a new document in the general repair form library. When the form is submitted, I need it to automatically create forms in other document libraries based on what type of equipment was returned.  I'm fairly new to sharepoint, but I'm guessing that I need to set up actions based on the values in the initial repair form, I just have no idea how to get these actions to create a new document in a separate library. (i.e. a different form template specifically designed for the type of equipment returned). It would be great if I could set up the fields on the new form to automatically take the values from the general repair form (i.e. serial number, date received, that sort of thing)... Even a general idea of what I need to look up would be helpful - I'm having a hard time finding where to set up an action such as this!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:16 PM

Answers

• Noel - Can you not add a hyperlink to the other form which users can click on to launch them? You can use conditional formula on those hyperlinks so that the appropriate form is visible depending on the choice made on the "Master Repair" form. I haven't done this yet, so let me know if this works for you or not.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:36 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:02 AM
  • Hi Noel, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  First, see this link on how to create forms in another library via SharePoint Designer workflow:  http://www.bizsupportonline.net/blog/2009/06/create-infopath-forms-sharepoint-designer-workflow/

Since we're talking about creating them in certain libraries depending on certain fields you will need to promote the field in the infopath form that holds the value for the equipment type and re-publish your form.  Once that field is promoted to sharepoint it will be available in your designer workflow.  You will need conditional branches in your workflow step.  The first branch would be:

Branch1:
    Condition:    If EquipmentType(this is the field promoted from your form)  equal   Equipment A

Action:  Create list item in Equipment A Library (per the link above)

Branch2:
    Condition:  If EquipmentType  equals Equipment B

Action:  Create list item in Equipment B Library

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Noel, are these form libraries within the same "site"?  If so we can accomplish this using a sharepoint designer conditional workflow...
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Thanks Melli - Yes, the libraries are in the same site. What sort of action would I need to use in order to generate a document in a separate library? Say if we get a Master Repair form filled out for Equipment A (specified in one of the fields of the Master Repair form), to then create an Equipment A Repair form in its the Equipment A library?

Thanks again!

Friday, February 4, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Noel - Can you not add a hyperlink to the other form which users can click on to launch them? You can use conditional formula on those hyperlinks so that the appropriate form is visible depending on the choice made on the "Master Repair" form. I haven't done this yet, so let me know if this works for you or not.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:02 AM
  • Hi Noel, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  First, see this link on how to create forms in another library via SharePoint Designer workflow:  http://www.bizsupportonline.net/blog/2009/06/create-infopath-forms-sharepoint-designer-workflow/

Since we're talking about creating them in certain libraries depending on certain fields you will need to promote the field in the infopath form that holds the value for the equipment type and re-publish your form.  Once that field is promoted to sharepoint it will be available in your designer workflow.  You will need conditional branches in your workflow step.  The first branch would be:

Branch1:
    Condition:    If EquipmentType(this is the field promoted from your form)  equal   Equipment A

Action:  Create list item in Equipment A Library (per the link above)

Branch2:
    Condition:  If EquipmentType  equals Equipment B

Action:  Create list item in Equipment B Library

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:31 PM