none
MS-Access 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Visual Basic Program that transfer a text file to an Access file, which all works. However after upgrading to Access 2016 when I try to open the MS-Access file to check I get a security warning, I choose to continue to open and only get a blank screen. There are file menus where I can view the privacy terms and agreements. But I cannot see any tables, queries, or forms. It does not have macros or anything.

I can import the old Access file to another and view everything, however I do not want to have to do this. Is there anyway I can stop the security warning?

I added trusted folders where my access files are located, and they are renamed through the Visual Basic program as needed. I have been using MS-Access since 1997, but never encountered not being able to see tables and queries from an MS-Access file.

I did as a test enabled all macros, and other security things. This is on my local home computer, so I can change whatever I need.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Broggy69,

>> I have to stick with .mdb, because of other programs that uses the MS-Access file after the data has been import, and queries ran. So other programs do not yet support the .accdb format

As you have found, mdb file is not supported in Access 2016. If you want to use Access 2016, you need to convert mdf file to accdb file. If you stick with mdb, you need to degrade Access version, you could use Access 2010 or Access 2013.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:46 AM

All replies

• What version of Access were you using prior to 2016? Trust Settings were added in version 2007. Are you creating a ACCDB file from your VB code? Or, are you creating a MDB?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:53 PM
  • Hi Broggy69,

As the reply from DB, which version of access and file format you used to transfer a text file? The details error message would be helpful.

To narrow down this issue, I suggest you create a new Access file with Access 2016, and then transfer a text file to an Access file to check whether will work or not. If you still have this issue, I suggest you share us how you transferred a text file. If not, I assume it was related with the old access file, and I suggest you convert the old access file to latest version.

# Convert a database to the .accdb file format
    https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-098DDD31-5F84-4E89-8F44-DB0CF7C11ACD

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:22 AM
  • Hi Broggy69,

As the reply from DB, which version of access and file format you used to transfer a text file? The details error message would be helpful.

To narrow down this issue, I suggest you create a new Access file with Access 2016, and then transfer a text file to an Access file to check whether will work or not. If you still have this issue, I suggest you share us how you transferred a text file. If not, I assume it was related with the old access file, and I suggest you convert the old access file to latest version.

# Convert a database to the .accdb file format
    https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-098DDD31-5F84-4E89-8F44-DB0CF7C11ACD

Best Regards,

Edward

I will try that when I get home. I upgraded from MS-Access 2013 to MS-Access 2016. I have an MDB file with stored queries. VB.Net program copies the MS-Access file. It has no data, just queries. Imports the text file, CSV, Tab, or fixed determined by the Schema.ini.

Once the data imports the MS-Access file is renamed to [JobNumber].mdb then I open it, to ensure everything is correct, and that's when the security box appears.

I have used this Visual Basic method with the following version of MS-Access 2007, 2010, and 2013 the VB Program has been updated as needed.

I have to keep the file as .mdb because of another program that uses the data doesn't support the .accdb yet. Just not sure why I am not allowed to view the mdb file without having to transfer everything to a .accdb

My VB Program does a lot work for my customers. I was testing my code for MS-Access 2016 just in case customer upgrades. But that's where the problem lies is the other program that doesn't support the .accdb yet.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:36 AM
  • I failed to try. Roomates were complaining how not all channels were working like I am a cable guy. smh. I will try this weekend after I get back from my trip.
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:20 PM
  • Hi Broggy69,

Have you tried my suggestion? If you have any updates about your issue, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Edward

Monday, November 23, 2015 8:10 AM
  • Hi Broggy69,

Have you tried my suggestion? If you have any updates about your issue, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Edward

Yes, and while I can convert the database, I still need to be an .mdb file for the end. So I really need to be able to just open an .mdb file. Converting, importing, into Access 2016 works, but not what I needed. So still trying to figure out why, it won't open.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Hi Broggy69,

I made a test with this, and I could reproduce your issue. Mdb file would not be opened, and accdb file would be opened correctly. I assume mdf file is not supported in Access 2016. Could you share us why you stick on using mdf file? Is there a function you want exist in mdb file but did not exist in accdb file?

Best Regards,

Edward

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:28 AM
  • Hi Broggy69,

I made a test with this, and I could reproduce your issue. Mdb file would not be opened, and accdb file would be opened correctly. I assume mdf file is not supported in Access 2016. Could you share us why you stick on using mdf file? Is there a function you want exist in mdb file but did not exist in accdb file?

Best Regards,

Edward

I have to stick with .mdb, because of other programs that uses the MS-Access file after the data has been import, and queries ran. So other programs do not yet support the .accdb format. Otherwise I would switch right away with no problem.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:32 PM
  • Hi Broggy69,

>> I have to stick with .mdb, because of other programs that uses the MS-Access file after the data has been import, and queries ran. So other programs do not yet support the .accdb format

As you have found, mdb file is not supported in Access 2016. If you want to use Access 2016, you need to convert mdf file to accdb file. If you stick with mdb, you need to degrade Access version, you could use Access 2010 or Access 2013.

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:46 AM