none
c1121 what does it mean & how do I fix it? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a build farm of 20x Win10 machines with "Visual Studio 2015 Professional with Updates", about once a week I get the dreaded "Fatal Build Error c1121" from MSBuild

>> c1xx: fatal error C1121: call to CryptoAPI failed

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/error-messages/compiler-errors-1/fatal-error-c1121

I have re-imaged all the nodes with fresh installs of Win10 Enterprise 1607, but it still pops up.

What does the error mean? How can I troubleshoot to see what's causing this?  The only action I can take that corrects the problem is a full uninstall/re-install of VS. It is not a long term solution

Thursday, November 9, 2017 10:44 PM

All replies

• Well, the message itself is clear enough. The compiler has to call into the CryptoAPI but failed for some reason. Because of this, the compiler can't complete what it is doing.

As for what causes it, that is more difficult. It could be Visual Studio, it could be Windows, but without knowing exactly what call failed it is hard to give an answer as to how to fix this. Unless the verbose MSBuild output gives more information on this, the only ones who could give an answer are the Visual C++ compiler team.

You probably won't get a satisfactory answer from the forum unless a member of the compiler team gets involved. Out of curiosity, do you get this problem on Windows 10 Pro, and is Windows 10 Enterprise domain join with group policy in place?

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 11:33 PM