Touch Language Thoughts

General discussion

• While I find the Win 8 touch language for Metro style apps to be clear and concise, I feel that the browser experience is lacking in robust touch navigation.   On other tablets and PCs, access to back and forward is available within a single touch gesture or chrome button.  Within Windows 8, navigating back requires two actions via the touch interface (swipe up for app bar and then click to back).  I believe Microsoft can and should come up with a single action approach to going back and forth in a fully immersed IE.

Having said that, I don't believe there would be anything wrong with introducing a touch language that is common for back or forward in Metro apps (not sure how games would deal with this).  I get that it is desirable to have a simplified touch language to make it easier for ALL users to understand but I think you can still keep the common app bar swipe up logic for everyone and give power-gestures for power users.  This would be no different than someone who uses the mouse to navigate windows versus someone who uses keyboard shortcuts.

Also, am I the only one that believes there is a design inconsistency between the browser and Metro apps as far as pinch zoom gestures?  The browser uses this to increase/decrease the content within the viewport to make it easier to read.  This makes sense to me.  The fact that Metro style apps use the pinch zoom gestures for navigation in non-browser apps seems inconsistent.  I like the idea but not sure I think that its the right gestures for going between master and detail.

Thoughts?

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:45 AM