Using the New Protogon File System: Advantages and Strength. The Future and Now

General discussion

• Hello, I know that MSFT implemented and shipped one of the first issues of its new filesystem called Protogon. What is it for? Is it a new era for NTFS? Or is it a re-shaped vision of WinFS, which did not come to fruition? Let's discuss it here? Cheers.
    Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:15 AM

All replies

• On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:15:13 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

Hello, I know that MSFT implemented and shipped one of the first issues of its new filesystem called Protogon. What is it for? Is it a new era for NTFS? Or is it a re-shaped vision of WinFS, which did not not come to fruition? Let's discuss it here? Cheers.

The only builds that appear to contain this are leaked (pirated) builds.
    This is not the appropriate place to discuss this.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    It is now pitch dark.  If you proceed, you will likely fall into a pit.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:10 AM
  • On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:15:13 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

Hello, I know that MSFT implemented and shipped one of the first issues of its new filesystem called Protogon. What is it for? Is it a new era for NTFS? Or is it a re-shaped vision of WinFS, which did not not come to fruition? Let's discuss it here? Cheers.

The only builds that appear to contain this are leaked (pirated) builds.
    This is not the appropriate place to discuss this.

Paul Adare
    It is now pitch dark.  If you proceed, you will likely fall into a pit.

Ah, that explains why I don't see the option in my format tool... (I heard the option discussed here and there on the internet and google results)

Still I don't get why we can't discuss the new filesystem here in general. I wasn't about to talk on how to get the leaked build, that's out of scope of my question, isn't it?

Indeed that's about to talk about upcoming technology. What's wrong with it, unless nobody can't comment on that.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:08 PM
  • On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 12:08:01 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

Still I don't get why we can't discuss the new filesystem here in general. I wasn't about to talk on how to get the leaked build, that's out of scope of my question, isn't it?

Because this forum is busy enough discussing the bits that we actually
    have. What's the point of discussing something that currently is nothing
    really more than rumour and speculation?

Paul Adare
    f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:10 PM
  • On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 12:08:01 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

What's the point of discussing something that currently is nothing really more than rumour and speculation?

Paul Adare
    f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

I am sorry but if David N. Cutler thought alike, we would probably have never seen NT come to fruition.

After all, BBS and forums were here for discussing technology even if it's still in its bud stage.

Of course this makes sense only if we had somebody from MSFT to discuss it (if it's allowed). I am not going to suggest discussing something that is within signed NDA.

Okay , let's leave the topic until we get publicly available instance of the rumored file system.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:55 PM
  • On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:55:38 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

I am sorry but if?David N. Cutler thought alike, we would probably have never seen NT come to fruition.

Right, because Dave Cutler and his development team would never had
    developed NT if they hadn't discussed a non-released feature only available
    on pirated build in a public forum. Great comparison.

Paul Adare
    Shift to the left!  Shift to the right!  Pop up, push down, byte, byte,
    byte!

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:18 AM
  • If a feature is available in a leaked build, it's rightful to expect it to be present in one of the TFS branches and in MSFT strategy plans.

So no, I don't know how the only place where it is available would be a leaked build.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Why not focus on the facts about the Dev Preview (6.2.8102) instead of the rumors then:

1. There exist a driver named protogon.sys.

2. PROTOGON.SYS evaluates several registry entries under \Registry\Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem and most of them have names that reminds me of the NTFS equivalents.

3. Format.com has code to support something (could it be a filesystem?) called protogon.

4. Some very suspicious file named uprotogon.dll is found in the System32 folder, and supports filesystem utilities.

5. BOOTMGR (for some reason) has traces of something called protogon.

6. WINLOAD.EXE (for some raeson) also has traces of something called protogon.

All in all, I think these facts (all taken from the Dev Preview), gives us a pretty good indication that protogon is far more than just rumour and speculation, and it certainly falls into the filesystem category.. I think a more accurate statement is that protogon is a present feature, but currently deactivated or broken.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Moreover, inside ifsutil.dll there is a function called IFS_SYSTEM::IsThisProtogon(). I wonder what that is and why it is inside that dll? (Hint: Installable File System Utility)

So, anyone care to explain what protogon is, and what its capabilities are supposed to be, relation to WinFS, etc..?

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Sure, Joakim! Exactly what I've been up to discuss here! Thanks for the info! If you happen to find some more, please share!
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:44 PM
  • There's definetely more to add to it, but the point for now was to present enough "evidence" that claims about Protogon being only in pirated builds, are outright BS. I was hoping that someone would add some more detailed and usefull information about it, and NOT just deny its presence.

So, is Protogon in the Dev Preview deactivated on purpose, or simply a broken and not-functioning feature/filesystem?

Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Here is a rumor saying that “Protogon” will be renamed to “Resilient File System” (ReFS) and will only be in Windows 8 server.

By Tom Warren, on 1st Dec:

http://www.winrumors.com/microsofts-new-windows-8-resilient-file-system-refs-will-be-server-only

So too bad: there will ne no “Resilient File System” in our final “client” versions !

How long will we have have to wait for this rumor to be confirmed or contradicted ?

- until the beta version ? (at CES in Januray or even to late February as some rumors alredy say)

- or until RC, RTM or the final Windows 8 in autum 2008 ?

By the way the same question applies to ‘Portable WorkSpace’ which has been present in a leak and then renamed ‘Windows To Go’ in WDP.

Is this feature going to disappear in the beta and final client versions and be only available to Enterprise ?

• Edited by franz999 Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:15 AM
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 11:15 AM
  • And today we can read the folowing rumor:

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-storage-spaces-feature-revealed-plays-nicely-with-refs/

Storage Spaces will only be present in Server vesions of Windows 8, with the possibility of the feature making its way to high-end client SKUs

So who knows if we have any chance to get ReFS in a high-end client version like Windows 8 Ultimate ?

• Edited by franz999 Monday, December 5, 2011 2:46 PM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 12:49 PM