Which area should we report issues to in the Windows Send Feedback Tool when in doubt?

Question

• Original title: Send Feedback tool doubt

In which area should we report issues when in doubt? That is, if we don't find the area we're exactly looking for, what would be the right place to file these "uncategorized" bugs and suggestions instead?

Friday, January 27, 2012 10:43 PM

Answers

• On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 09:55:51 +0000, Irfanfare wrote:

I meant the same issue can be sent in different areas, if you are not sure about the area to which the issue belongs.

This is actually not a good suggestion. It is better to submit a single
    report in the wrong area than it is to submit multiple reports of the same
    issue in different areas. Submitting duplicate reports generates a lot more
    effort than does generating a single report in wrong area.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    That does not compute.

• Marked as answer by SatoMew Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:48 AM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Hey SatoMew,

First, thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback!

For the thread you linked above, the Appearance and Customization > Desktop interface area would be a good spot.

Steven
    • Marked as answer by SatoMew Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:24 AM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi satoMew,

if you are using Windows Developer Preview, you can post your issues for solution here.

Irfan
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:10 AM
  • You could try to chose the closest category to your issue.

What is you issue that you want to report?

Windows is complex system and it should be categorize for easier troubleshooting and underestanding problem and to assign issue to people who are expert in that area.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:00 PM
  • You could try to chose the closest category to your issue.

What is you issue that you want to report?

Windows is complex system and it should be categorize for easier troubleshooting and underestanding problem and to assign issue to people who are expert in that area.

I'm trying to report this.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Hi again SatoMew,

'Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

In case the link above gets messed up, the URL is below:

ADD1-RY34-K4T4

(https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4 The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

ADD1-RY34-K4T4

(https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)'

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug.'

(As replied by Chris, Support Engineer in one of the related threads)

Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:35 PM correction
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Hi again SatoMew,

'Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

ADD1-RY34-K4T4

(https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4 The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug

ADD1-RY34-K4T4

(https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=ADD1-RY34-K4T4)'

The last link goes to: How do I install the Windows Feedback Tool and file a bug.'

(As replied by Chris, Support Engineer in one of the related threads)

Irfan
    I already have the Send Feedback tool installed and I have already submitted reports using it. I just don't know which area to choose in the tool to report that.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Hey SatoMew,

For the thread you linked above, the Appearance and Customization > Desktop interface area would be a good spot.

Steven
    • Marked as answer by SatoMew Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:24 AM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 2:21 AM
  • Hi SatoMew,

You may Search in Select an area in the Search box given on the top of the Tool, try different and fewer keywords, use the one closest to your issue. You may send more than one report.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Hi SatoMew,

You may Search in Select an area in the Search box given on the top of the Tool, try different and fewer keywords, use the one closest to your issue. You may send more than one report.

Irfan

When you say that I can send more than one report, do you mean about the same issue in different areas or the fact that I can send multiple different issues using the Send Feedback tool?

Hey SatoMew,

For the thread you linked above, the Appearance and Customization> Desktop interface area would be a good spot.

Steven

Thank you, I'll proceed to submit the problem using the tool.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:24 AM
  •  

When you say that I can send more than one report, do you mean about the same issue in different areas or the fact that I can send multiple different issues using the Send Feedback tool.

Hi Satomew,

I meant the same issue can be sent in different areas, if you are not sure about the area to which the issue belongs.

Irfan
    • Marked as answer by SatoMew Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SatoMew Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:46 AM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:55 AM
  •  

When you say that I can send more than one report, do you mean about the same issue in different areas or the fact that I can send multiple different issues using the Send Feedback tool.

Hi Satomew,

Irfan

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for future reports.
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:08 AM
  • On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 09:55:51 +0000, Irfanfare wrote:

This is actually not a good suggestion. It is better to submit a single
    report in the wrong area than it is to submit multiple reports of the same
    issue in different areas. Submitting duplicate reports generates a lot more

Paul Adare
    That does not compute.

• Marked as answer by SatoMew Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:48 AM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:13 AM
  • On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:13:24 +0000, Paul Adare wrote:

Submitting duplicate reports generates a lot more

Effort for the MSFT folks that need to triage and manage the reports that
    is.

Paul Adare
    Computer programmers do it byte by byte.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:24 AM
  • Hello Paul Adare,

agreed, but the danger that a good suggestion or genuine issue not being entertained just because it's posted in the wrong area, it still is a MSFT loss.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:36 AM
  • On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:36:20 +0000, Irfanfare wrote:

Hello Paul Adare,

agreed, but the danger that?a good suggestion or genuine issue not being entertained just because it's posted in the wrong area, it still is a MSFT loss.

You've missed the point. A feedback item is not going to be missed or not
    "entertained" if it posted to wrong area. It will simply be recategorizied
    by whomever is triaging the report. Duplicate reports cause far more work.

Paul Adare
    The computer is mightier than the pen, the sword, and usually, the
    programmer.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:41 AM
  • If that's so, then thanks for reminding us of that detail. I haven't sent duplicate reports yet and it is indeed more difficult to manage that way.
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Thanks Paul,

my mistake.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 12:34 PM