VPN support over Wi-Fi in WP 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• When I go to Settings >> VPN on my WP (Lumia 1020), it only gives me checkboxes regarding cellular data. Does this imply that VPN support is not provided for Wi-Fi? Or that it is always on for Wi-Fi?

I can't test empirically because I am still struggling with getting VPN set up.

TIA--Sherman

Friday, April 18, 2014 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Origami1212,
    The VPN connection is supported across a Wi-Fi network.  Since cellular networks can be metered we give the option for customers to turn this option on/off to protect their data plan.

Thanks,

Eli A.

Windows Phone Support - Support Delivery Manager

Friday, April 18, 2014 8:17 PM
  • I am running with a serious issue with the VPN. When I am turning ON VPN, both the Wifi network and mobile data connection are not working. And when I am turning it off, both the connections are working fine. Can MS fix this bug in the official release...

Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:32 AM
  • Hello Origami1212,
    The VPN connection is supported across a Wi-Fi network.  Since cellular networks can be metered we give the option for customers to turn this option on/off to protect their data plan.

Thanks,

Eli A.

Windows Phone Support - Support Delivery Manager

There is still a problem, once VPN switched to "mobile" because Wi-Fi was not in range, VPN won't switch back to Wi-Fi once you re-established a connection, so it will drain your data plan. (I tested this on the WP8.1 dev. preview on a Nokia 1020)

Thomas

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Have you tried entering a IP instead of a domain name? Maybe your VPN messes up with DNS?
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:17 PM
  • Hi,

I've a Lumia 1020 with the WP8.1 dev. preview installed.

I created a VPN connection using login + password, installed a certificate and set it to automatic mode. I connect to a Linux box running Strongwan 5.1.3 with such a config file:

# ipsec.conf - strongSwan IPsec configuration file

config setup
        uniqueids=never
        #charondebug="cfg -1, dmn 11, ike -1, net -1"

conn myVPN
          left=%any
          leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
          lefthostaccess=yes         
          leftfirewall=yes
          leftcert=vpnHostCert.pem
          ike=aes256-sha1-modp1024!
          esp=aes256-sha1!
          rekey=no
          keyexchange=ikev2
          ikelifetime=8h
          keylife=1h
          right=%any
          rightsourceip=192.168.188.50
          rightauth=eap-mschapv2
          compress=yes
          dpdaction=clear
          dpddelay=300s
          rightsendcert=never
          eap_identity=%any
          auto=add

Everything work fine except this:

Once VPN switched to "mobile" because Wi-Fi was not in range, VPN won't switch back to Wi-Fi once a Wi-Fi connection has been re-established, so it will drain my data plan. Is there any way to tell the VPN connection, to prefer Wi-Fi over data plan?

Thomas
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:23 PM
  • Another issue of WP 8.1 DP.

If I use a VPN (tested with hide.me) I experienced with connection issue with universal apps with VPN. All universal apps (Remote Desktop from Microsoft for example) use only mobile data after disconnect VPN . Even with WiFi working without any problems. This cause heavy mobile data drain. For switch to WiFi I must enable airplane mode for minute and then disable it. More interesting this bug affects only universal app that use Windows Runtime. Classis Windows Phone apps works well and don't affected that issue.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Hello tbruckschlegal77:

Thank you for providing additional details regarding your experience.  I wanted to post here to bump this thread and encourage others having this experience to post here and vote for this thread.  When you post, please provide the following details.

• Make and model of phone.
    • Current OS version.
    • Current firmware revision.
    • Country you are located in.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mark W.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 1:45 AM
  • Lumia 1020 - Switzerland:

Handyinformationen

Name : Windows Phone
    Modell : NOKIA 909
    Netzbetreiber : AT & T

software : windows@ phone 8. 1

Betriebssystemversion : 8. 10. 1 2382. 878

Firmwarerevisionsnummer : 3051. 40000. 1346. 0001
    Hardwarerevisionsnummer : 3. 3. 0. O
    Funksoftwareversion : 3. 2. 04048. 1
    Chip-SOC-Version : 8960

Bildschirmauflösung : 768×1280

Sunday, May 25, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hello All:

I wanted to bump this thread and continue to encourage those having this issue to post the requested details here along with a description of your issue.  Please be sure to vote for this thread while you are here.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mark W.

Friday, May 30, 2014 4:58 AM