none
VS2015 won't compile a project that compiles fine in VS2013

Question

• I have a multi project solution that I have been developing for the last four years using VS2010 and then VS2013.  Recently I have been migrating all of my solutions to VS2015 and everything has gone fine until this particular solution.  When I try to compile it I get the following error;

Error reading resource 'CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses' -- 'Could not find file 'C:\Users\dhoffman\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CGPrinter\CGPrinter.Domain\obj\x64\Release\CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses'.'

Can you please help me understand what this error message means exactly and what I need to do to get my solution compiling in VS2015.

I will be glad to provide you with a zip file of the solution if that would help.

Thank you.

Dale Hoffman

Dale Hoffman

Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Dale Hoffman,

>>Error reading resource 'CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses' -- 'Could not find file 'C:\Users\dhoffman\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CGPrinter\CGPrinter.Domain\obj\x64\Release\CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses'.'

Since it worked well in VS2013, please check that whether it is related to the .NET Framework version, for example, change it to be the .NET 4.5.1 as the VS2013.

Like this document here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ha0k3c9f%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cross compilation between 32-bit and 64-bit is not supported when you use the License Compiler when building your project. This is because the License Compiler has to load assemblies, and loading 64-bit assemblies from a 32-bit application is not allowed, and vice versa.

You would check that whether it is related to the Platform target (X86/X64/ANY CPU). Or you could create a new .licenses file in your VS2015.

Since this project also added third party library, really sorry for that we couldn't install the third party product and really repro it in my side, but you could narrow down this issue using the above steps, of course, please also make sure that the third party library doesn't have different versions for different VS(VS2013/VS2015) projects.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 5:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Dale Hoffman,

>> Error reading resource 'CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses' -- 'Could not find file 'C:\Users\dhoffman\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CGPrinter\CGPrinter.Domain\obj\x64\Release\CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses'.'

What is this "CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses"?

It seems that it is generated by yourself. I suggest you could find out where do you get it.

Besides, I want to know what the project type.

>> I will be glad to provide you with a zip file of the solution if that would help.

You could upload it to https://skydrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 20, 2015 6:48 AM
  • Thanks for the info. 

Here is drop box link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tel6os0772udjzb/CGPrinter.zip?dl=0

A little more background:

I have about thirty solutions altogether that I manage.  All of them have come up and worked in VS2015 except this one.

This is the only solution I have that uses a 3rd party library (Aurigma Graphics Mill - licensed).  You mentioned about the CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses file being mine.  Actually as I understand it it is generated by the lc.exe program that is in the Windows SDK path.

Again, this solution compiles and works fine in VS2013 but not in VS2015.  There are numerous requests for help with similar licensing problems on the internet but I see no solution that works yet.  I've installed ver 10 of the Windows SDK because that worked for some people but it did not for me.

I've also petitioned Aurigma for help with this problem, but I really think it is in the VS side of things.

Dale Hoffman

Monday, November 30, 2015 10:12 PM
  • Hi Dale Hoffman,

>>Error reading resource 'CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses' -- 'Could not find file 'C:\Users\dhoffman\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CGPrinter\CGPrinter.Domain\obj\x64\Release\CGPrinter.Domain.dll.licenses'.'

Since it worked well in VS2013, please check that whether it is related to the .NET Framework version, for example, change it to be the .NET 4.5.1 as the VS2013.

Like this document here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ha0k3c9f%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cross compilation between 32-bit and 64-bit is not supported when you use the License Compiler when building your project. This is because the License Compiler has to load assemblies, and loading 64-bit assemblies from a 32-bit application is not allowed, and vice versa.

You would check that whether it is related to the Platform target (X86/X64/ANY CPU). Or you could create a new .licenses file in your VS2015.

Since this project also added third party library, really sorry for that we couldn't install the third party product and really repro it in my side, but you could narrow down this issue using the above steps, of course, please also make sure that the third party library doesn't have different versions for different VS(VS2013/VS2015) projects.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 5:30 AM