Checking the Latest Version RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an MSI Installer for IE Addin. Now I have to makes changes with that Installer. Whenever the user runs that installer, it should check the latest version of that particular software and in case a higher version compared the one he is installing is available, it should give user an option to download it.

Now how can I accompalish this? Looks like there are 2 ways it seems to be possible

1) Launch Condition, in which it should check for the latest version and in case it finds a higher version, provide the option.
    2) Custom Action, in custom action should check for the latest version and in case it finds a higher version, provide the option.

But in both the options, how will it check if there is any higher version available for downloading? In custom action there might be some way but, can this be achieved in Launch Condition?

Adeel
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:45 AM

Answers

• You should be able to assign a version to yuor application through the assemblyinfo.cs file that is part of the project, or if you are not using VS then search MSDN for the AssemblyVersion attribute. You can get a string representation of the version number by calling Application.ProductVersion or a more detailed bit of information by calling:

string _version = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetName.Version.ToString();

Mitja
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:54 AM