none
Extract planned hours per week from MSP planning

Question

• Dear all,

I would love to know how to extract the hours per week from my MSP 2016 planning. I determined the durations of the activities per week, now I want to extract how many hours per week I have put in. So I want to pull out the hours per week from my MSP planning.

Can anyone teach me how to do; would be more than great.

Regards,

Ingenieur X

Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:04 AM

All replies

• IngenieurX,

The number of hours you "have to put in per week" is directly dependent on your assignment level. If you work full time, then the work hours per task is the same as the duration hours per task. If you are only working half time then the work hours will be half the duration hours.

You say you want to "pull out the hours per week". What exactly does that mean? Does it mean you simply want to view it or does it mean you want to export that data to some other application? If you just want to view it, the information is readily available by looking at either the Task Usage or Resource Usage views.

So, in order to help further, we need to know more information.

John

Thursday, December 13, 2018 3:56 PM
  • I just want to see how much hours of work I have planned per week; that is it. I want to use this for a Performance Baseline Measurement. Please tell me where I can access this information in MSP. Thanks a lot
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:25 AM
  • Try the Resource Usage view, and set the timescale to weekly.  If you want something more sophisticated, use the Visual Reports functionality and export the data to Excel (Use the Resource Workload Report and modify the pivot table as required).   

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 10:19 AM
  • I shall try this out; thanks a lot :)
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 10:25 AM
  • Sir Howard,

Thanks for your help. I was wondering how I can export the specific 'Resource Usage' sheet into an excel file. Can you please give me the path?

Regards

IngenieurX

Monday, January 7, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Hi, 

Alas you cannot export this directly to Excel, however you can cut and paste the data on either side of the vertical splitter bar into Excel - just be careful to align the data correctly.  

Monday, January 7, 2019 10:09 AM
  • Hello sir Howard,

The thing is; I want to extract the 'planned hours' rather than the 'actual hours' since I am not tracking the progress of work in MSP. We programmed a planning into MSP by means of a workdistribution per phase/activity. These are converted from our planned hours into days. No I want to see how much hours of work we have planned per week. Then, I shall equate these hours to the 'actual hours' from another system that we use.

Monday, January 7, 2019 10:21 AM
  • When you enter actual hours it replaces any planned hours, which is fine for your process as you are not tracking work in MSP.  Alternatively, take a baseline and display the baseline work in the Resource Usage view and copy and paste that.

Monday, January 7, 2019 10:29 AM
  • Thanks for replying. Please; I don't get you or I am defining my question wrong. I planned activities as a function of time. Each activity is planned during certain weeks. I want to know how many work I have planned per week; that is all. Please teach me how to extract the exact amount of hours of planned work per week. Thanks a lot.
    Friday, January 11, 2019 8:07 AM
  • Hi,

Okay,

1. Take a baseline before you update any tasks.

2. On the resource usage view, set the timescale to weeks.

3. Use Add Details button to remove the work values and add in the Baseline Work values on the right hand side grid.

4. Cut and paste the data to Excel.

OR

You can use the Visual Reports feature to export the data to Excel with a timescale of weeks (use the Resource Workload Report and modify accordingly - you might need to modify the report template to include Baseline work).

All of the above options have already been discussed in this thread, perhaps with the express exception of baseline work (though this has been mentioned). 

I hope you are able to work through this thread and access either work or baseline work appropriately.   Please not that there is no "planned work" column in MS Project, you either have work or baseline work to choose from.  Note when you track a task timescaled work values will be replaced by timescaled Actual Work values.

Friday, January 11, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

from the user name, I expect a German speaking user.

Just for clarification, the German translation are a bit poor for Baseline:

• Work = Arbeit
    • Baseline Work = Geplante Arbeit (and when translating "geplant" to English, it is "planned" :))
    • Nevertheless: Baseline = Basisplan
    • Actual Work = Ist-Arbeit
    • Visula Reports = Grafische Berichte

Regards
    Barbara

Saturday, January 12, 2019 4:55 PM
  • You guys are so sweet. I am from the Netherlands and your help is very great. Let me try some with yours great advice. I would love to have had 'screenshot' by some steps within the descriptions; would be more than great. Thanks so much; p.s. you should share your moral authority by youtube. A lot of people would be helped. Thanks.

• Edited by IngenieurX Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:03 AM
    Saturday, January 12, 2019 11:56 PM
  • You guys are so sweet. I am from the Netherlands but your help is very great. Let me try some with yours great advice. I would love to have had 'screenshot' by some steps within the descriptions; would be more than great. Thanks so much; p.s. you should share your moral authority by youtube. A lot of people would be helped. Thanks.
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 12:02 AM
  • Hoi,

Dus in Nederlands :). Mijn beschrijving toch in het Engels voor iedereen.

Ben is referring to "Visuele reporten" in Dutch version. "Rapport - Rapport van werk volgens basislijn" in tab Toewijzingsgebruik seems to fit to your requirement. Just move "Weekagenda" from filters to kolommen and add Resources to rijen (after switching to sheet "Toewijzingsgebruik").

Regards
    Barbara

Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Were to find the ' the Visual Reports functionality and export ' ?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2019 10:51 AM
  • It's on the Report tab...

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Barbara and Tom, Thanks a lot! I finally got it.

I am tracking progress by means adjusted starting dates as a function of the baseline. So, I will be adjusting the starting days of (some) activities weekly; these will obviously deviate from the baseline.

Now, I was wondering what hours to select for each week in the shedule; I want the actual workload per week; should I check the weekly Work - Actual Work - or, - Baseline Work? I assume Actual work right?

Thanks !

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 1:14 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Now, I was wondering what hours to select for each week in the shedule; I want the actual workload per week; should I check the weekly Work - Actual Work - or, - Baseline Work? I assume Actual work right?

Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

the names are the same in Project and Excel. So you should be aware what to use? Here a short description:

• Baseline Work: time per period at time of saving baseline
    • Work: current time per period in your project as scheduled
    • Actual Work: time per period already done

Task originally scheduled for 3 days, Baseline saved. Increased duration to 4 days, since it will be more work and take longer --> work is current schedule. Resource told 8 hours spent so far: Actual Work = 8.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, January 17, 2019 3:41 PM
  • Thanks Barbara,

Given the example, can I assume the following: period = the time budgetted for an task; total time per period = baseline work + work?

Regards

IngenieurX

Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

please don't add baseline work and work. Baseline work is just a snapshot of work, at the time you saved the baseline (Project - Save Baseline).

Work includes your current schedule. I assume this is the only value you need.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, January 18, 2019 1:45 PM
  • How can I upload screenshots? My account needs to be verifified but how do I do so?
    16 hours 55 minutes ago
  • The problem is the following: I removed all resources in my planning. And I found that the particular table is not showing any hours within the work column.

Now I've deleted all resoucres as attached to my planning and still the work column defines 0 hours of work for each period.

Task  Task  1 Task  2 Task  3 Task  4 Baseline Work Work Actual Work
    STR (RMP) D&E Phase 1 Steel structure Structural design (design calculations) 0 0 0
            Calculations Steel structures 0 0 0
            3D-model Steel structures 0 0 0
            CLIENT REVIEW 0 0 0
            FINALIZATION after client review 0 0 0

I just simply want to know how much work, expressed in hours, I have planned per week given my current project as planned in MSP. I want to know the amounts of work per week from my planning. That is just it.

15 hours 50 minutes ago
  • Hi.

1. I do not know how your account can be verified, the forums are run by Microsoft, we are not Microsoft Employees, just volunteers with an interest in Project.

2.  If you remove resources from the tasks, then the work values will also be removed, hence you will no longer have any planned hours against any task.  You add the work in again for each task, or assign resources again which would add the work for you.    

15 hours 46 minutes ago
  • Sir Ben, Thanks for your contribution. Can you send me an email to wrongguesss@gmail.com to which I can reply by sending you some screenshots. For now, I want to thank you for all your time and effort; I might be a headache for you but I am learning tough :).

12 hours 10 minutes ago
  • Hi, a better soln would be to use a google drive, onedrive or one of the many other file sharing applications - that way many other people will be able to comment and benefit from potential solutions.

12 hours 5 minutes ago
  • Thanks Ben, I found the way to upload image(s) if needed. But I also found the way to interpret your lessons; correct me if I am wrong, but I have to assign at least 1 recourse to a period before the table will assign WORK to that period, right? I tested this and this should work?
    11 hours 38 minutes ago
  • Hi,

Basically when you assign a resource to a task, project calculates a work value and places that in a timephased data set.

So, assume a 5 day duration task, when you assign a work resource to that task then by default 40 hours of work added to the task, split over 5 days each with 8 hours per day.   There are many ways you can vary this, but the equation Work = Units (ie amount of resource) * Duration.  

To avoid ambiguity, the answer to your question is Yes.

10 hours 20 minutes ago