none
Can't install 3.0 SP1 on Windows 2008, will it be available? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

The pre-req for our application is .Net framework 3.0 SP1 which is available on every current Windows platform apart from Windows 2008.  This pre-req is due to a number of WPF issues in 3.0 that have been fixed in SP1.

The issue is that we need to support Windows 2008, but 3.0 SP1 is not supported/installable on 2008.  From reading Microsoft blogs, the plan for Windows 2008 is similar to Vista - only provide revisions of the .Net framework with service packs (3.0 SP1 is included with Vista SP1).

If that is the case, it means we have to wait until Windows 2008 SP1/2 is released before we can support our application on that platform.  This seems like a step backwards for vendors and uptake of the framework, unless it is a motivation to move to version 3.5, which, strangley is available for Windows 2008!

Can you please explain why 3.0 SP1 cannot be installed on Windows 2008 and if/when there is a plan for it to be.

It now looks like we will have to migrate to .Net 3.5 as that is supported on all current platforms (XP, Vista, 2003, 2008).

Thanks,

Stuart

Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• WS2008 comes with SP1 within it....

Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:20 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply!

I had simply glanced at the Microsoft.Net\Framework folder, expecting to see a '3.0xxx' folder for SP1 and only saw the '3.0' folder, so I assumed only 3.0 was installed.

Anyway, I found this complete mapping of .Net version numbers to release/service packs here.  Should help anyone else determine what SP is installed.

Cheers,
    Stu

Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:25 AM