none
VS 2013 SP5 crashes editing html upon typing < symbol for tags

Question

• Using Visual Studio 2013 with update 5 to update our web pages is very challenging.  If I type the < symbol to begin a tag, such as <p> or <div>, as soon as I hit the < symbol, Visual Studio crashes with the error that Visual Studio has stopped working -- Restart or Debug?  

The only work around I can find is to use Notepad to type my tags first, then copy and paste them into the Visual Studio editor.

I tried deleting the .suo file (which has helped with IntelliSense problems in the past), but in this case, the problem persists.

Has anyone experience a similar issue and what did you do to fix it. 

Thanks, DavidN

Thursday, November 12, 2015 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi DavidN,

>> When I log in as administrator, Visual Studio runs the new user set-up process with the message: "Setting up Visual Studio for First Use - this may take several minutes".  When completed, the crash when entering < does not happen.

When I log in with /SafeMode, also the crash does not happen.

Since you run as administrator doesn't have the issue, I suggest you could use the administrator account, because running vs we require the administrative privilege.

Besides, in safe mode, it also doesn't crash, it means that the add-ins leads to this issue, I suggest you check the following:

(1) Go to Tools -> Add-in Manager, and then disable all the add-ins.

(2) Go to Tools -> Extensions and Update, uninstall all the extensions.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi DavidN,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For this issue, I suggest you could take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

(1) Run the visual studio as administrator.

(2) Disable anti-virus or anti-spyware software.

(3) Please launch your visual studio in safe mode:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode, This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Thus ensuring stable execution.

(4) If none of the above helps,  please collect the Visual Studio operations log with  /Log switch. It will help us collect all operations when we operate Visual Studio. The log file can be found at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml

Best Regards,

Jiayi

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 13, 2015 7:08 AM
  • Hi Jiayi,  Thank you for your reply.

When I log in as administrator, Visual Studio runs the new user set-up process with the message: "Setting up Visual Studio for First Use - this may take several minutes".  When completed, the crash when entering < does not happen.

However, starting Visual Studio in these ways didn't fix the issue when I am logged in normally. 

I followed the fourth option to collect the Visual Studio operations log using the /Log switch.

In the ActivityLog I notice the following errors:

Extension will not be loaded because an extension with the same ID 'Microsoft.Windows.DevelopmentKit.Desktop' is already loaded at C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\COMMON FILES\. [blah blah blah] .\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS KITS\8.1\DESKTOP SDK\..."

Could not load file or assembly 'DiffClassifier.dll' or one of its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified.

The last two rows of the ActivityLog show:

Begin export of category 'HTML Tag Specific' ({7583bb73-a453-40e8-8951-b6986ddb1d9b}) from package 'Visual Studio HTM Editor Package' ({1B437D20-F8FE-11D2-A6AE-00104BCC7269}). 3379204 KB of virtual memory currently available.
    End export of category 'HTML Tag Specific' ({7583bb73-a453-40e8-8951-b6986ddb1d9b}). 3379140 KB of virtual memory currently available.

What else should I look for in the ActivityLog.xml, or would it be better to send it to you?

Thanks for your help,

David

• Edited by DavidN[EI7] Friday, November 13, 2015 10:13 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 9:57 PM
  • Hi DavidN,

>> When I log in as administrator, Visual Studio runs the new user set-up process with the message: "Setting up Visual Studio for First Use - this may take several minutes".  When completed, the crash when entering < does not happen.

Since you run as administrator doesn't have the issue, I suggest you could use the administrator account, because running vs we require the administrative privilege.

Besides, in safe mode, it also doesn't crash, it means that the add-ins leads to this issue, I suggest you check the following:

(1) Go to Tools -> Add-in Manager, and then disable all the add-ins.

(2) Go to Tools -> Extensions and Update, uninstall all the extensions.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:55 AM