Kinect Camera doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Since 1 week i am trying to troubleshoot my Kinect v2 for Windows by searching on different official forums and sites.

My situation is as follows: 
    I've created a dedicated virtual machine for the Kinect v2 with the next configuration:
    • Windows 8.1
    • i7 3.9 GHz (2 virtual processors with 2 cores each)

• 4 GB RAM
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000 onboard graphic card
    • Onboard USB 3.0 port (Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard)

I have installed the Kinect SDK 2.0 Public Preview, afterwards plug the Kinect into the power supply and USB 3.0 port.

1. The windows recognize the kinect microphones array but the camera doesn’t work (The Microphone Array appears with the description of "XBOX NUI Sensor" - is this normal ?).
    2. In the device manager I can see “KinectSensor Device” with “WDF KinectSensor Interface 0” instead of “KinectCamera”
    3. When I try to run any Kinect sample program, eg: Body basics, I get a “Kinect not available!” message.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrei

Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:10 AM

Answers

• As stated in the troubleshooting and other documentation, the only USB3 chipsets supported are Intel and Renesas. You will have to use a PCIx v2.0 expansion card if you wish to use these systems with Kinect v2.

Additionally, there is a new tool that was released with the August update of Kinect for Windows v2 public preview. Please run Kinect Configuration Verifier from the SDK Browser v2.0(Kinect for Windows). From the search charm(win-q), you can search for "SDK Browser" and click on the appropriate result. From the top of the list, you should see the first entry is the new tool. Click the "run" icon.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Since 1 week i am trying to troubleshoot my Kinect v2 for Windows by searching on different official forums and sites.

I've created a dedicated virtual machine for the Kinect v2 with the next configuration:
    • Windows 8.1

• 4 GB RAM

I have installed the Kinect SDK 2.0 Public Preview, afterwards plug the Kinect into the power supply and USB 3.0 port.

1. The windows recognize the kinect microphones array but the camera doesn’t work (The Microphone Array appears with the description of "XBOX NUI Sensor" - is this normal ?).
    2. In the device manager I can see “KinectSensor Device” with “WDF KinectSensor Interface 0” instead of “KinectCamera”
    3. When I try to run any Kinect sample program, eg: Body basics, I get a “Kinect not available!” message.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrei

My symptom is nearly the same with the following difference :

1. my cpu is i3-3220 (  Intel HD Graphics 2500 onboard graphic card ). My OS is win8.1 64bit . No virtual machine .

2.  My motherboard is ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6

3. 8G byte DDR3 totally

4. When I tried the demos : Infrared or color basic WDF --- completely black. Occasionally it comes up with the first image then it freeze.  

Please advise . Thankyou !

• Edited by su chengji Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:26 PM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:24 PM
  • Hi all,

Have you all looked at the troubleshooting guide?

There is a hard requirement on DirectX 11 video card support, and VMWare, VirtualBox VMs do not support DirectX 11 currently. The jury is still out on Hyper-V. I've read some get it working however with challenges.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for your response. Before posting the question on msdn forum, i've checked all sites and forums that i found (including the troubleshooting guide and Kinect FAQs).

I had a look on dxdiag utility from my VM (i'm using VMWare) and seems like its having DirectX 11 (unfortunately i cannot put the print screen until my account is verified)

Regards, 

Andrei

Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:38 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  My system is:

windows 8.1 (no virtual machine)

fx 8350 cpu

asus r9 280x graphics card

usb 3.0 on asus m5a99fx mobo (ASMedia usb controller)

Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:30 PM
  • Hello,

• Windows 8.1

• 4 GB RAM

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrei

My symptom is nearly the same with the following difference :

1. my cpu is i3-3220 (  Intel HD Graphics 2500 onboard graphic card ). My OS is win8.1 64bit . No virtual machine .

2.  My motherboard is ASROCK Z77 Extreme 6

3. 8G byte DDR3 totally

4. When I tried the demos : Infrared or color basic WDF --- completely black. Occasionally it comes up with the first image then it freeze.  

Please advise . Thankyou !

After I installed a GTX650ti ( 1Gbyte GDDR5 ) and latest driver and lastest SDK1408, there is no difference : Color Basics WPF is stilll completely black ! How comes ????????????????????

Fortunately , my mother board has two usb3.0 chip : one is ETRON  EJ168A , the other is intel Z77. Originally , I connected to ETRON , now I use Z77----everything works now :)

Lucky ~~~~

• Edited by su chengji Friday, August 22, 2014 3:22 AM
    Friday, August 22, 2014 2:42 AM
  • As stated in the troubleshooting and other documentation, the only USB3 chipsets supported are Intel and Renesas. You will have to use a PCIx v2.0 expansion card if you wish to use these systems with Kinect v2.

Additionally, there is a new tool that was released with the August update of Kinect for Windows v2 public preview. Please run Kinect Configuration Verifier from the SDK Browser v2.0(Kinect for Windows). From the search charm(win-q), you can search for "SDK Browser" and click on the appropriate result. From the top of the list, you should see the first entry is the new tool. Click the "run" icon.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:57 PM

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I've checked the "Kinect Configuration Verifier", which showed me (as one of the guys already said in one of the posts) that my VM doesn't have DirectX 11 (even if my dxdiag utility showed DirectX 11).

I've reinstalled Windows 8.1 directly on my physical machine and now the Kinect is working correctly.

Regards,

Andrei

Thursday, September 4, 2014 6:23 AM
  • So... your solution is to oblige us to buy a PCIx v2.0 expansion card cause Microsoft gave us an update that makes incompatible the stuff that Microsoft sells... Idk guys... that sounds very illegal since they are forcing us to buy something that is not necessary and maybe this is some kind of monopolistic activity. I remember a case where this happened and it didn't end well since you are killing your own products. You are not thinking about your consumers but don't you worry about it we all know that there exists the consumer's protection.
    Just let us know if you realize that what you are doing is illegal and you do something about that.

"preserve the right of freedom of trade. In the absence of any purpose to create or maintain a monopoly, the act does not restrict the long recognized right of a trader or manufacturer engaged in an entirely private business, freely to exercise his own independent discretion as to parties with whom he will deal."

Tuesday, October 20, 2020 2:47 AM