How to create .pfx file without password and assign it through signing tab of VS2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had created a self signing certiticate WITHOUT PASSWORD some times back using makecert and pvk2pfx and then assigned it in vs2010 for clickonce signing and assembly signing. My VS2010 is inside Virtual machine and i am creating cer,pvk and pfx file on my host OS. hope this does not make any difference as such.

But today when i am doing the same, Vs2010  does not accept new selfsigned certificate and as i do it through "Select From File",  password dialogbox pops up. I tried to click "OK" without entering password, but it refuses to accept.  I am wondering what is going wrong.

What is so secret that VS can create .pfx file without password and I if i do manually it does not. ?

Please can someome help me.

Regards

PS. The Problem with VS2010 is that "Create Test Certificate" does not allow me to specify CN and expiry date, which otherwise they should.

Friday, April 5, 2013 11:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Why would you want to create a certificate without a password? If you're going to do that, then what's the point of signing your deployment at all? That's very insecure, and anyone that gets a copy of the certificate can use it to sign their own deployments, which will then link back to you.

What business case are you trying to solve by doing this, maybe I can offer a better solution.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

• Proposed as answer by Bob Wu-MT Monday, April 8, 2013 5:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Feng Sunday, May 5, 2013 5:59 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 5:39 PM