none
Dumb question: Where can I get a copy of Office 2010 STARTER for testing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been tasked with testing our application's integration with Office on Office 2010 Starter Edition.  I know that our Outlook integration will not work since there is no Outlook in Starter.  However, I do not know if we can use the automation interfaces on the Word and Excel that are contained in Starter.  Is there any way that we can get the Starter Edition (other than buying another new machine)?  We have MSDN subscriptions as well as Partner Program, and I am unable to find it on either.

mdpowers

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:54 PM

Answers

• Hi mdpowers

The Office 2010 Starter edition does not support any automation interface - it doesn't contain those components.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by mdpowers-slo Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi mdpowers

The Office 2010 Starter edition does not support any automation interface - it doesn't contain those components.

• Marked as answer by mdpowers-slo Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:00 AM
  • OK, thanks muchly!

mdpowers

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Hmmm, ok, no automation, what about mail merge capabilities?

mdpowers

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:32 PM
  • You'll need to ask about what the Office Starter version can do in a forum that supports end-user questions. Most people who frequent here have never used it, since it can't be used by a developer... Try:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:41 PM
  • I'd like to second the question: where to get a copy for testing?

We already know, there are limited integration possibilities, but out QA department still want to test it with starter edition.

Atleast to test detection of the edition and present the user with some better message than "Office is not installed.". They dont agree with that. And they are right (this time). Any pointers/guidance for that would help as well.

Martin [MCP]

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:48 AM
  • I also would like this information. Right now we don't have any documented way of detecting Office Starter at all.

I would like to know

- What GUIDs to look for

- What registry entries to look for

- How to detected if Office Starter is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Monday, October 29, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Martin/Lars

I suggest you start a new question as it's unlikely the Contingent Staff will see this on an answered thread. And the OP was satisfied with the answer... I think the following forum would be the best place to ask:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/officegeneral/threads

And while you're asking, you might also inquire about the Office 2013 Home and Student version, as this appears to have a similar restriction.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:47 AM