locked
Silverlight application not working RRS feed

  • Question

  • I just finished a slideshow created in Windows Movie Maker and encoded in Expression Encoder 4.  I then used Expression Web 4 to insert the slideshow into a web page.  

    The whole movie, both video and audio, works perfectly in "browser preview" but when I uploaded the page to my server I see the template and a black rectangle where a movie should be.  You can find it at http://www.heartlanddogclubflorida.org/show_highlights/show_highlights.html . 

    Tech support at my server says all of the files are in the right place.

    What have I done wrong this time????

    Friday, August 20, 2010 10:44 PM

All replies

  • Since you are on an Apache Server you may have to add the MIME types for Silverlight.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tims/archive/2008/03/18/configuring-a-web-server-to-host-silverlight-content.aspx

     

    Another article:

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/jorke/archive/2007/09/11/silverlight-mime-types-in-iis6.aspx


    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

    Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    • Proposed as answer by Veign Friday, August 20, 2010 11:02 PM
    Friday, August 20, 2010 11:00 PM
  • If tech support says the files are in the right place, perhaps they can explain why

    http://www.heartlanddogclubflorida.org/show_highlights/Dog%20Show%202010.swf

    gives a "404 File not found" error.  That may point them to the solution.

    (By the way, it is very bad practice to use spaces in folder or file names intended for the web.  It can cause problems.)

    Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:20 AM
  • The vast majority of the time when something "...works perfectly in "browser preview" and then craps out online, it is because, (a) the resource wasn't uploaded at all, (b) the resource was uploaded, but not to the relative position specified in the referencing URL, or (c) the referencing url was not transformed properly before publishing, usually because of working with individual files, and not opening and working within a defined Web.

    In the current instance, Kathy's post indicates that either (a) or (b) occurred. To troubleshoot, and either confirm or refute, open your remote page and view the source code, then closely examine the urls and compare the actual relative path from the document's location to the resource (use EW's Site View or a third-party FTP program).

    Just having the files on the server is not enough. They must be located exactly in the relative path specified by the referencing url, and on a Linix server, that includes spelling, punctuation, and case (Linux servers are case-sensitive—images/myImage.jpg is a different file to Linux than Images/myImage.jpg). Use the ol' Mark II eyeball to closely check your references.

    cheers,
    scott


    C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Thank you all for helping.  It is working now.
    Really, really trying to learn this stuff
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Strange as the title says Silverlight but the problem you found was to a Flash file.
    --
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

    Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:22 PM