How to add windows 8 codecs pack to metrostyle player app RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

am working on creating windows 8 metro-style player app C#/xaml , i want to add windows 8  codec to it , i downloaded a windows 8 codec and got it installed and now windows media player supports .flv,.ogg type of file . In the same way I want my player app to support .flv type of files by adding this windows 8 codec.can u tel me how to add this codec pack to the app which am creating?

I downloaded the win 8 code from this link:

http://shark007.net/win8codecs.html

I use windows 8 release preview and Visual studio 2012 RC

Friday, June 29, 2012 2:01 PM

Answers

• To support other codecs in your app you need to ship Media Foundation Extensions with your app. This is just a library that you add to your project references and then you write a couple lines of code to connect them to the media foundation pipeline. After that, when you try to play media in your app (via MediaElement or the video tag) that requires another codec, it will just work.

My guess is that the codecs you sited above are probably not implemented as Windows Foundation extensions but you could contact the author to see if they could port them. Check out the custom extensions section on the MSDN page about Media Foundation extensions for more info.

Tim

Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:43 AM

All replies

• To support other codecs in your app you need to ship Media Foundation Extensions with your app. This is just a library that you add to your project references and then you write a couple lines of code to connect them to the media foundation pipeline. After that, when you try to play media in your app (via MediaElement or the video tag) that requires another codec, it will just work.

My guess is that the codecs you sited above are probably not implemented as Windows Foundation extensions but you could contact the author to see if they could port them. Check out the custom extensions section on the MSDN page about Media Foundation extensions for more info.

Tim

Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:43 AM

Tim

can u provide sample code for adding other codecs in to player app and how to ship media foundation engine to my app.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2012 10:00 AM
  • Check out the Media Foundation extension sample on MSDN for an example of an mpeg1 decoder.

Cheers, Tim

• Proposed as answer by Tim Greenfield Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Hi

I am having an app developed that require flv videos to be played. Is there an flv codec available that can be used with Media Foundation extension?

Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:26 AM