WebView Control limitations -- Are there any workarounds?

Question

• Having worked intimately with WebBrowserControl I see there are serious limitations with new WebView control in Windows8.   It is missing with basic event like OnBeforeNAvigate2   ( Navigating),  I would like to get an event before page navigates to new page so that I can check the URL and decide whether to allow not.

I'm surprised why Microsoft didn't expose basic events..  any workarounds without injecting any script into target page?

Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Tam,

You should understand that the WebView control is not intended to be used to create a "customized web browsing" experience.  It is intended to provide some basic HTML rendering and to allow application developers to leverage some existing HTML/Web resources within a XAML-based Metro app.

At this time, we do not have plans to provide events such as you have mentioned above.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, I will involve more experts to investigate it.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, July 6, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Thank you,  there are several events they need to provide to make best use of WebView control.  I request microsoft to support all events which are exposed in WebBrowerControl so that applications written using WebBrowser control can be easily ported into MetroApp

Friday, July 6, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Yes, it is seriously limiting the development under certain cases.

Cmpi1in9 it..

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:57 AM
  • Micrsoft,

Are you hearing us?  Can someone from microsoft confirm if they plan to provide events or not so that we can plan accordingly.   If Microsoft doesn't plan to support events then possibly we need to stop our development and plan a different direction.

-> Microsoft doesn't allow other full fledged browsers ( Firefox, Chrome) to run ARM platforms ( they don't have access to system the way IE 10 has to win32 API)

-> Microsft doesn't provide developers to customzie the browsing experiennce using their own control ( underlying IE engine)

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Hi Tam,

You should understand that the WebView control is not intended to be used to create a "customized web browsing" experience.  It is intended to provide some basic HTML rendering and to allow application developers to leverage some existing HTML/Web resources within a XAML-based Metro app.

At this time, we do not have plans to provide events such as you have mentioned above.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:28 PM
  • So is there any control to provide "customized web browsing" experience ? Every platform (android , ios  etc) provides some way to do this.

What MSFT trying to achieve by not providing this ?

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:32 AM