none
DEVICE_USAGE_NOTIFICATION_TYPE::DeviceUsageTypeBoot RRS feed

Answers

• As the name implies, it informs you that you're in the path to a boot device. This has implications regarding caching and removal policy. If you aren't a bus driver that could be in the path to such a device (e.g. USB) or in the storage stack, then you don't need to worry about it

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:18 PM

All replies

• As the name implies, it informs you that you're in the path to a boot device. This has implications regarding caching and removal policy. If you aren't a bus driver that could be in the path to such a device (e.g. USB) or in the storage stack, then you don't need to worry about it

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Thanks Brian.

Let me clarify my problem in more details:

I am doing disc class driver in the storage stack. The driver exposes disk devices to the OS - it means that during installation phase user can pickup a disk on which OS should be installed. Currently all discovered disk devices are shown on the list - so user can pickup every disk device discovered in IRP_MN_QUERY_DEVICE_RELATIONS handler and install OS on it. I would like to restrict the list of disk devices on which windows can be installed (based on some metadata) in a way that user will not be able to pickup 'affected' disks from the list.

That is why I did ask about DeviceUsageTypeBoot flag. Can I use this flag somehow to restrict the list of bootable disk devices? Or maybe there is other way to do that?

- Staszek

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:20 AM
  • The flag does not appear until Windows is installed on the disk.  The only way I know of to handle a problem like this is to hide the disks from the system as part of the install.  This is tricky and painful but has been done on at least on older systems like Server 2008.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Filter drivers that can affect selection of disk for setup are known.

One of such drivers that I used, hides the "removable media" state of certain flash cards, otherwise Windows won't install on it (it was some older version like server 2008 or so).  You can try the opposite and set the removable flag.

Please google...

-- pa

• Edited by Pavel A Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:28 PM
  • The boot volume notification is when Windows boots, not for volumes that are "potentially bootable"; therefore, you'll have to use a different method. I wrote a filter to hide disks, for a client, so it is definitely possible. As Pavel wrote, marking the devices removable is one way of preventing Windows from being installed on them - but, it also changes the caching from write-back to write-through, limiting performance.

-Brian

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:28 PM