none
About Date Format Issue in EDI Content RRS feed

• Question

• The BEG05 is element field about date format.

According EDI schema file , It's maximum length is 8 and minimum is 8.

EDI850 Original Follow :

==================================

ST*850*0001
    BEG*00*NE*3859199838**070727***IBM

So, I must to modify it.

Modif Follow:

==================================

ST*850*0001
    BEG*00*NE*3859199838**20070727***IBM

How can I keep original file and let it valid instance is work?

modify 850 schema?

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:06 AM

All replies

• Dates are aften a problem in X12 as early version used a 6 chr date and later versions use the 8 chr date. However, typically the problem occurs in the envelopes and not in the data itself. Are you sure you are using the correct version of the schema? If so then the question depends on the direction. If you are receiving the EDI file then modifying the schema to allow 6 or 8 characters is the easiect solution. You can then do the appropriate manipulation of the field during mapping. If you need to send the EDI data then the solution is a little more complex. In this case the trading partner appears to expect an invalid date so to avoid ipacting other partners, create a custom version of the schema just for that one partner.

Richard

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:23 PM
  • SO, I can't use original schema design it (8 characters) .

I must to create a custom version of the schema(6 characters).  Right?

Thanks your kindly reply.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:47 AM
  • Either the data must match the schema or the schema must match the data. With B2B you very often have no control over the data being generated by your partners so having to "adjust" the schema is very common.

Just bear in mind the possible impact on other partners and also what you do with the data in the particular element. If possible, keep things simply and avoid partner specific schemas.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:04 PM