License restriction for statically linking RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Hope Im asking my question in the correct forum.

Im using the registered version of Micrsoft Visual Studio 2005 for VC++ project.

Is there any license restriction to use statically linking option?

Whether it  is allowed to use statically linking option during ocx building, Because my project may bundle binaries of some system dlls if I use static option. So whether it is allowed to distribute the generated .ocx file or not.

Regards.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 3:30 PM

Answers

• You are not actually linking the contents of the system DLL into your binary image when you statically link a DLL import library.  The linker just creates a jump table to the DLL entry points that is filled in at program startup.  Your program will fail to start if the system DLL isn't present on the client's machine.  You are not allowed to distribute the system DLLs yourself unless they are explicitly listed in the redist.txt file, present in your VS installation folder.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Hi

Partially I got the answer, Just for clarifications I'm again here.

I'm not distributing the system DLLs, But I'm only using the "static linking" option during build.

So I think I can use the "static linking" option during .ocx file creation and I can distribute my .ocx file with my application.

Just confirm me on the above.

Regards
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Confirmed.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:14 AM

All replies

• You are not actually linking the contents of the system DLL into your binary image when you statically link a DLL import library.  The linker just creates a jump table to the DLL entry points that is filled in at program startup.  Your program will fail to start if the system DLL isn't present on the client's machine.  You are not allowed to distribute the system DLLs yourself unless they are explicitly listed in the redist.txt file, present in your VS installation folder.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Hi

Partially I got the answer, Just for clarifications I'm again here.

I'm not distributing the system DLLs, But I'm only using the "static linking" option during build.

So I think I can use the "static linking" option during .ocx file creation and I can distribute my .ocx file with my application.

Just confirm me on the above.

Regards
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Confirmed.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:14 AM