none
what windows libraries are available? RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a service that is written in C# using windows and has a windows library, will it take extensive rewriting to use it in azure functions?
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:24 AM

Answers

• Azure Functions targets .NET Core. If the library is already available for it, then I believe it should work.
    The complexity to rewrite it would depend on how complex the service is.

There are some limitations though which are explained in detail here.

• Marked as answer by danielsn Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:14 AM

All replies

• Azure Functions targets .NET Core. If the library is already available for it, then I believe it should work.
    The complexity to rewrite it would depend on how complex the service is.

There are some limitations though which are explained in detail here.

• Marked as answer by danielsn Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:14 AM
  • There are tens of thousands of lines of code, counting the irreplaceable dll's I will need to find another way.

I want to run this service both when a user requests it from the webpage, and also when they send a request by email.  I guess a small stand alone server that can host it is what I will need to do, unless there is a better way I do not know about.

Thanks!

• Edited by danielsn Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:20 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:19 AM
  • Yes. With such a large code base, it would take a lot of effort assuming the DLLs work in Functions.

Another alternative you might want to check out, is using App Service with Windows Containers.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 3:29 AM
  • thank you for the suggestion.   

Do you know if it would work to run executables?   The example I see is for web sites.  I might put a web wrapper around it, but the true functionality is an exe.  

IT would be nice to have a scalable solution.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:09 AM
  • I believe running an executable should work. Windows containers have almost no limitations as such but you would have to try it our to be sure.

As for scalabilty, that would really depend on the service and its design. A web wrapper around an executable is usually not scalable but then again.

Even with Azure Functions, languages like java and python run out-of-process (the parent process being the functions runtime), hence they are not recommended for heavy load use cases as well.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:36 AM