none
get rid of VAN

Question

• We are using VAN for EDI with Biztalk 2010. 

We are planning to migrate EDI load in a cloud, so the first option we are thinking to use Biztalk service.

During this migration, we want to get rid of VAN too and want to stop paying VAN vendors.

Can somebody suggest what are options available for us in Azure which can replace VAN (one option I can think FTP or FTPS)?

Please provide me the suggestion.

Another option we are considering is moving on Biztalk 2016 and maintain AS2 at our end but we do not want to think that as we need to create point to point connection with each partner.

Please provide an answer for any of this two options.

Monday, January 2, 2017 3:12 AM

Answers

• Well, you can't just get rid of the VAN.  You first need to make sure all of your Trading Partners support transports other then the VAN.

These could be anything, AS/2, FTP, SFTP, PGP over FTP, HTTP, etc.

So, it's really a matter of switching all your Trading Partners to different protocols.  Where BizTalk runs, on prem, cloud, etc, doesn't really matter.

Unfortunately, this means all Trading Partners will be Point-to-Point, but, don't worry about that.  That's by far the most common setup today.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

If you are moving your integration workload to cloud services then ,go with Logic Apps along with Enterprise integration pack instead of BizTalk Services .

With Logic Apps and Enterprise integration Pack you can have flexibility to use multitude of connectors available with Logic Apps  and on-premises data gateway to connect with on premise resources.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:45 AM
  • Well, you can't just get rid of the VAN.  You first need to make sure all of your Trading Partners support transports other then the VAN.

These could be anything, AS/2, FTP, SFTP, PGP over FTP, HTTP, etc.

So, it's really a matter of switching all your Trading Partners to different protocols.  Where BizTalk runs, on prem, cloud, etc, doesn't really matter.

Unfortunately, this means all Trading Partners will be Point-to-Point, but, don't worry about that.  That's by far the most common setup today.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:14 PM
  • Technically VAN is FTP or SFTP , so they support FTP at least?

I know most of our vendor support FTP and SFTP other protocols not sure.

Thanks for answer

Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:49 PM
  • Technically VAN is FTP or SFTP , so they support FTP at least?

I know most of our vendor support FTP and SFTP other protocols not sure.

Well, no. The on prem VAN endpoint will often support FTP for internal connections, but this has nothing to do with what other VAN members can or can't do.

Basically, the old VAN has absolutely nothing to do with alternative Trading Partner connections.

Friday, January 13, 2017 9:43 PM
  • Thanks...
    Monday, January 16, 2017 2:16 AM