Remote Debugging Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I've just read Gregg M.'s post about configuring remote debugging on XP SP2 and VS 2002/2003.

I am using XP SP3 and VS 2008 SP1 and am having trouble getting remote debugging working.  My server is running Win Server 2003 R2 SP2.

First, if I set the remote debugging monitor to No Authentication (native only) and do the same on my XP client, I can attach to processes, but it seems I am  crippled with what I can do.

When I switch to Windows Authentication, and try to refresh the processes, the remote debugger monitor notes the connection but on the client I get a message stating that the remote computer cannot connect back to my XP client.  This is where I'm stuck.  I thought for sure that going into the DCOM config and allowing annonymous connections (per Gregg's post) would do the trick, but it has not.

Monday, March 23, 2009 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hello Steven,

Based on my understanding, an error: "The Visual Studio Remote Debugger service on the target computer cannot connect back to this computer" occured when you tried to do remote debugging. If I misunderstand you, please feel free to let me know.

To dig further into this issue, please confirm the follow information:
        1. Please make sure the Visual Studio Remote Debugger is correctly set up on the remote computer.
        2. Run the remote debugger under an account that can access the debugger host computer.

For more information, please refer to this article on Remote debugging Errors and Troubleshooting--Error:The Visual Studio Remote Debugger service on the target computer cannot connect back to this computer.
    Also, please follow the example on this video: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/msdn/screencasts/screencast/313/Visual-Studio-2008-Remote-Debugging-with-MSVSMONEXE.aspx

Best regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Monday, March 30, 2009 1:25 AM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:02 AM