none
Signed Windows Service Not Getting Installed In Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

I have created one Windows Service with C# Dot Net Framework 3.5

I am facing one issue while installing windows service in windows computer. Cases are as under.

1. Installed successfully when all files are not signed with any of digital certificate.

2. When all files are signed with Digicert signing certificate, while installation, I am getting error of "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

Solutions tried:

I have increased timeout in windows registry with path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control" and key "ServicesPipeTimeout" with value of "8540000". But this solution did not worked.

I have also restarted system after applied changes in registry as above but still same issue.

Any expert can help on this?

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:31 AM

All replies

• Firstly, never change the service timeout in Windows using the registry. This will potentially cause lots of issues and is a very serious violation of the user's computer. You need to reset that. To give your service more time to start up all you need to do is tell the SCM. The correct approach in C# is to simply call the RequestAdditionalTime method. You still don't have forever but it gives you a little time. If your service needs to do more complex work (which they all do) then you need to start a separate thread for that.

As for the fact that it occurs only when signed that is because Windows is checking whether the cert is valid or not and that takes time. An article from back in 2010 discusses how to resolve this. Disabling the revocation occurs before your service starts so you won't need any additional startup time. 

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Friday, October 4, 2019 2:11 PM
  • Hi Mahesh.Mantra, 

Thank you for posting here.

As the article which CoolDadTx provided said, a worker thread which is waiting for a response from the CDP (CRL Distribution Point) server cause the service time out.

You can refer to the following reference about disabling CRL Checking.

Disabling certificate revocation checking for an application on Windows

Besides, since digicert signing certificate is a third-party product for which we don't provide help, you can ask the question in digicert forum for more help.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 6:45 AM