Best place to trim my string properties RRS feed

• Question

• User-540818677 posted

I am working on an asp.net MVC web application and I am using entity framework.

Currently I have some model properties such as ip address, mac address, where I want to trim user input when adding , editing objects. Currently I am doing this inside an Ivalidatableobject as follow:-

public class FirewallJoin :IValidatableObject
        {
            //code goes here
            public IEnumerable<ValidationResult> Validate(ValidationContext validationContext)
            {

if (!String.IsNullOrEmpty(IPAddress))
                    {
                        IPAddress= IPAddress.Trim();
                    }

//code goes here

}

}

}

But not sure if this is the right place to do my trim operation?

Thanks

Thursday, July 3, 2014 5:32 AM

Answers

• User-2007877324 posted

but is there a problem of doing the trimming on the Validate(ValidationContext validationContext) method , as i am doing now ?

Technically no.

But your function name says Validate, one expects that this function validates the inputs and may miss that it is changing the inputs (like removing the spaces). Personally I will have a another function which does the trimming.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 5:55 AM

All replies

• User-2007877324 posted

ModelBinder would be a right place for this. You can define a custom model binder and attach it to string. See this StackOverflow post for similar question

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1718501/asp-net-mvc-best-way-to-trim-strings-after-data-entry-should-i-create-a-custo

Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:16 AM
  • User-540818677 posted

ModelBinder would be a right place for this. You can define a custom model binder and attach it to string. See this StackOverflow post for similar question

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1718501/asp-net-mvc-best-way-to-trim-strings-after-data-entry-should-i-create-a-custo

but using a custom model binder will trim all the strings, while in my case i need specific fields to be trimmed , and not all the strings fields...

Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:29 AM
  • User-2007877324 posted

In that case just trim those strings where you need it, like passing to the EntityFrameWork. You can even write a function which trims those strings.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 6:34 AM
  • User-540818677 posted

In that case just trim those strings where you need it, like passing to the EntityFrameWork. You can even write a function which trims those strings.

but is there a problem of doing the trimming on the Validate(ValidationContext validationContext) method , as i am doing now ?

Thanks

Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:17 AM
  • User-2007877324 posted

Technically no.

But your function name says Validate, one expects that this function validates the inputs and may miss that it is changing the inputs (like removing the spaces). Personally I will have a another function which does the trimming.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 5:55 AM