LoopingSelector for Win 8?

Question

• I am about a couple weeks from finishing my Windows Phone 7 app and thought I would look into porting it to a Windows 8 Metro app now.

My app currently uses the Silverlight LoopingSelector.  Is there something similar for Windows 8 Metro app?  If not, what could I do to provide similar functionality?

Let me describe my app UI a bit more.  My data entry view contains four looping selectors. You can slide the values in each looping selector vertically.  I have constrained the height of each looping selector to display only 3 items vertically.  The center vertical item is the current selection while the top and bottom items are displayed for preview allowing the user to anticipate which value comes next.  This layout kind of looks like a slot machine.  And No, I am not creating a slot machine app! :)

As the user makes selections in the looping selectors, I examine the current state of all 4 looping selectors.  Depending on the combination of the selections I then dynamically create controls.  Some of the dynamically created controls are TextBlocks while others may be List Pickers. It is very important that ALL the controls be displayed in the view at the same time.

This layout provides compact selection while providing detailed feedback for each looping selector combination.  Some of the looping selector combinations require the user to specify further values in list pickers. I dynamically create the list pickers as needed, rather than create a 5th or 6th looping selector, because 95% of the 4 looping selector combinations do not need further refinement with the extra values in the list pickers.  This layout allows the user to make all their selections without having to navigate to another page.

I hope that was not too confusing.  What I have create works perfectly in Windows Phone 7 and I would like to so something similar for Win 8.  I thought I would ask hear first before I go off in a wrong direction with my Win 8 Metro UI design.

Saturday, May 05, 2012 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Takinchu,

There is no LoopingSelector or equivalent in MetroStyle controls.  You will need to use ListView or create your own custom solution to duplicate this.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, May 07, 2012 12:40 PM