Multiple Master Detail forms RRS feed

• Question

• User-326746839 posted

Hi,

I have a table ( aheader) whcih also has another 7 children tables, all of them with an specific functionality in accordance to the business rules defined for that entity.

I'd like to know if there is a way of combining all of the 8 tables at once in a page: the amster table plus all other 7 tables

What I'd like to achieve is having a grid displaying a list of all headers stored in the database (let's call it Request Orders for instance) and then show all other 7 grids showing the list of details entered (if any ... because it might as well have it still has zero data) and then allowing me to enter data (in DETAIL-ENTRY mode) for each one of the tables and showing (refreshing) the newly entered data 

Is that possible at all in a C# ASP.Net Dynamic Data project?

is like having: (click link for larger image)

ejemplo

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:19 PM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, I already have this working see below, this is available via my open source project here and will be available via nuget eventually.

From C# Bits
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:07 AM

All replies

• User3866881 posted

Hi,

If you don't insist doing that with Dynamic Data, It's very easy for you to do the master-detail formView+GridView on the common asp.net page. You can refer this:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/16780/GridView-FormView-Master-Detail-Control

Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:56 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Mr. Dong,

(By the way ... I am going to use some capital letters here .... they don't mean yelling or fault or whatever other negative conmnotation generally is given to capitals. I will use them in order to enhance my questions and comments here .... not for anything else than that .... Ok ...)

If I'm currently developing an C# ASP.Net Dynamic Data (with SQL Server) project, why do I have to think outside that box? 

This is answer is not by any means and neither does it imply lack of respect or whatsoever ....

... just a true simple question: Can't it be done using Dynamic Data?

I know for sure this can be done in conventional ASP.Net. Same criteria apply to anything else: cascading, menus, validations, customized forms, etc. But I respectfully insist: Talking about anything else than Dynamic Data as a solution IS NOT a solution for this kind of project BECAUSE Dynamic Data BEHAVES DIFFERENTLY THAN STANDARD ASP.NET FORMS

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:31 AM
  • User3866881 posted

Can't it be done using Dynamic Data?

To be very honest, not absloutely. But considering it that if you are using Dynamic Data, and you have to apply the template inside VS, but the template for Dynamic Data (in default) there's only one GridView or FormView. It's not easy to achieve that.

So a general ASP.NET would be better in my mind.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:35 PM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Mr. Dong,

This is one of the things that I think should be part of the native package of VS20XX

How many systems have been developed using the snowflake design technique? Probably millions, no? So, displaying this kind of master-detail(s)-grandson(s) ... nephews, cousins and any other fancy way of resolving quickly referential integrity at the level of the data itself should be good .... AND PRINT IT AT THE SAME TIME ... isn't it?

For instance, if I had something like in a underwriting company, I'd had a request order, a request header, a sheet for the answers gathered during inspection and at the same time: names of tenants, legal representatives of yours and your customers, details of lands, details of machinery, details of gas tanks, details of dangerous animals, phones, addresses, dates, data of security, chimneys, etc.

You'll probably have all of this data stored into different correlated tables but you'll surely like to have it available at once for data entering and printing the final report ... isn't it?

So, if you put yourself in that scenario you will understand my request

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Friday, November 23, 2012 9:41 AM
  • User3866881 posted

klca

Hello again,

It seems that you wanna a Master-Details in a Dyanmic Data Sample,please have a look at this:

http://forums.asp.net/p/1301257/2542759.aspx

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:27 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, I already have this working see below, this is available via my open source project here and will be available via nuget eventually.

From C# Bits
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 24, 2012 7:07 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi,

Where is the master/detail thing in that link? couldn't find it !

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador) 

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:54 PM