none
Receiving data from my app on another machine RRS feed

• Question

• I need to receive data from each device that use my app as i offer it as trail,

the problem that i can't deploy a server with static IP aka domain so my app can find it, so the 2nd option is to send this data throw Email, i tried many time with Gmail but Failed for security reason knowing that i have enabled low security apps to log to the Email used.

the error i get is "The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Authentication Required"

the code i use is as following

Try
                Dim Smtp_Server As New SmtpClient
                Dim e_mail As New MailMessage()
                Smtp_Server.UseDefaultCredentials = False
                Smtp_Server.Credentials = New Net.NetworkCredential("Email", "password")
                Smtp_Server.Port = 587
                Smtp_Server.EnableSsl = True
                Smtp_Server.Host = "smtp.gmail.com"

e_mail = New MailMessage()
                e_mail.From = New MailAddress(txtFrom.Text)
                e_mail.To.Add(txtTo.Text)
                e_mail.Subject = "Email Sending"
                e_mail.IsBodyHtml = False
                e_mail.Body = txtMessage.Text
                Smtp_Server.Send(e_mail)
                MsgBox("Mail Sent")

Catch error_t As Exception
                MsgBox(error_t.ToString)
            End Try
    if this issue related trusted certificate how can i obtain one? 

• Edited by AbanoubZak Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:37 PM
    Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:28 PM

Answers

• Why would Gmail allow its API to be used like you are trying to do with  a  possibility of a Denial of Service attack being ran on it as the site is bombed by emails?

Thank for every one who replied, it finally worked,  as for DA924x question, Yes the do allow this service as they offer Access for less secure apps. in the email setting, i finally managed to get it work was a problem in the Gmail it self.

I already did what Andrew B. Painter said from the beginning but some how took some times to take effect. thank you all.

• Marked as answer by AbanoubZak Thursday, March 19, 2020 5:48 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2020 5:48 AM

All replies

• Why would Gmail allow its API to be used like you are trying to do with  a  possibility of a Denial of Service attack being ran on it as the site is bombed by emails?
    Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:04 PM
  • Hi

Another wayt to do it is to pop up a message box asking the user to email you for a authentication value that they would need to continue, failing authentication, stop the application working.

Overall, not a very hard thing to implement and doesn't get involved with other corporation/company security.

Basically, time based code which checks for days since dirst run, if exceeds a specific time, pop up message box and set a flag. While flag is true, don't run (or just pop up the messagebox again), untill authentication received (needs a means for user to enter authentication value(s))

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Edited by leshay Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:29 PM
    Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:28 PM
  • Hi, AbanoubZak.  You've gotten some crazy replies so far XD

DotNET's SMTP Client should be really easy for you to use this way, but FIRST you have to go into your Gmail Account->Settings->Security and TURN ON "Access for less secure apps."  They aren't really less secure. 

Google is a big fat stupid liar.  They just want email clients to connect through their idiotic OAUTH-for-email pipeline instead of acting like grownups who rely on SSL cryptography that would take a million supercomputers a million years to decode one packet.

I think you should be using SMTP Port 465 as well for SSL-secured connections.  587 is for TLS.
    Thursday, February 20, 2020 11:35 PM
  • Hi

Another wayt to do it is to pop up a message box asking the user to email you for a authentication value that they would need to continue, failing authentication, stop the application working.

Overall, not a very hard thing to implement and doesn't get involved with other corporation/company security.

Basically, time based code which checks for days since dirst run, if exceeds a specific time, pop up message box and set a flag. While flag is true, don't run (or just pop up the messagebox again), untill authentication received (needs a means for user to enter authentication value(s))

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

i'm interested for more, please tell how can my application catch the respond directly no user involved.

also raising a flag won't do it as he just need to delete the setting's file and keep going as nothing happens.

i would deploy a SQL server and store verification data  so the application check for it if not then it stop but as i said deploying a server is not an option for me right now. 

Friday, February 21, 2020 12:55 PM

Thank for every one who replied, it finally worked,  as for DA924x question, Yes the do allow this service as they offer Access for less secure apps. in the email setting, i finally managed to get it work was a problem in the Gmail it self.

I already did what Andrew B. Painter said from the beginning but some how took some times to take effect. thank you all.

• Marked as answer by AbanoubZak Thursday, March 19, 2020 5:48 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2020 5:48 AM