none
[Setting] Filter downloads according to my subscription level as persistent setting RRS feed

• General discussion

• Dear Microsoft, dear VS subscription team,

please introduce a persistent (!) setting that allows one to filter the downloads by subscription level.

It is utterly unhelpful that even the featured downloads (https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads/Featured) for the four main categories contain links that are not available at my subscription level (Pro). A considerable number of featured downloads are unavailable and lead straight to a page that (equally unhelpfully) tells me:

1. Broaden your search to  all categories.
    2. Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    3. Try different keywords.
    4. Check if the product is available at your subscription level.

For the "Office" category not a single one of the featured downloads is available.

Well, I guess I should be checking number 4, but it's the prime reason for content being unavailable and being subscriber in my role as hobbyist and FLOSS developer for the Windows platform I am already shelling out for the subscription and I'm not going to upgrade to the next higher subscription level, ever, unless I win the lottery. What I am trying to say is that the site navigation is the wrong place for some kind of marketing pitch to sell subscription level upgrades.

Some time ago one was at least able to filter it down to stuff available at ones' subscription level. Unfortunately some site-wide "improvement" killed this. But even then the setting was per-search and did not persist.

Those list items in bold below are unavailable at my subscription level.

Developer Tools (1/9 unavailable):

• Release Management for Visual Studio 2015 Update 3

Office (9/9 unavailable):

• Office 365
    • Office Professional Plus 2019
    • Office Home and Business for Mac 2019
    • Visio Professional 2019
    • Project Professional 2019
    • Office Online Server (Last updated November 2017)
    • SharePoint Server 2019
    • Project Server 2013 with Service Pack 1
    • Office 2013

(that's right, not a single one of the featured downloads is available to me ... although for Visio and Project 2019 the Standard edition would be available, but unhelpfully I'm being shown the unavailable one as featured download)

Windows (0/9 unavailable)

Servers (2/8 unavailable):

• System Center, version 1801
    • System Center 2016

So please reconsider how this is currently done.

Thank you and especially thanks for taking the time to read this,

Oliver

per aspera ad astra

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:34 PM