WHat is the best approach to installing Visual Studio (Xamarin included) into a new MacMini? RRS feed

• Question

• User210844 posted

Hello,

Just bought a new Mac Mini. Looking to set up a dev env. for Android and iOS using VS and Xamarin.

• What is the recommended VM software to use on the Mac?
    • What is the recommended Windows version to install into the VM? Windows 8.1 or 10? (considering access to the OSX space on the machine)
    • Once VS is installed into the VM, what is installed onto the Mac? Xcode yes, what else?

Any pointer to an installation walk-through or documentation would be great!

Thanks

Monday, April 4, 2016 12:08 AM

All replies

• User45647 posted
    • I am using VMWare Fusion to rum my VM and it works great. You might have a suggestion to use Parallel (Which I have no experience with). So I cannot give Pros and Cons here.

• If you are thinking of building UWP apps, then you needs Win 10 as OS (And VS 2015). Otherwise Win 8.1 can do it.

• You would not need any extra tool to be installed on the Mac side

You still can follow the instructions here https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/getting_started/installation/windows/

Monday, April 4, 2016 2:21 AM
  • User210844 posted

Thanks for the feedback Haithem!

I prototyped an app in Android Studio...

Now starting to develop same app for both Android and iOS using Xamarin and plan on doing this on the Mac so I'll restate my planned setup and someone can comment with advice and opinion.

• Install a VM onto the Mac. VmWare Fusion or Parallels.
    • Install Windows 10 into the VM
    • Install Visual Studio and SP2
    • Install Android Studio onto Windows (maybe)
    • Install Android Studio onto OSX (maybe)
    • Install Xamarin Studio or Platform (not sure yet what is best/needed)
    • Install XCode onto the Max

Need advice on the order of tools installation. ie: Xcode, Xamarin Studio or Platform etc. Need advice on project setup so that dev being done in VS gets pushed to both Android AND iOS projects

Thanks for any and all advice :smile:

Monday, April 4, 2016 11:31 AM