XP vista and wpf RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I created a wpf application with visual studio 2008 sp1.

The wpf application runs well on vista but it crashes on xp!!!

What is the best option to prevent that a wpf application run fine on vista and not on xp???

Is there any setting or do I have to install visual studio on a xp machine and debug the problem there (Not really an handy option)???
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:52 AM

Answers

• The WPF apps that I have worked on, which are limited to a small number of proof-of-concept apps, I have always been able to copy from my XP box to my Vista box or vice-versa and they've worked fine.  But that doesn't mean it's not possible to create an app that would work on Vista and not XP.  That's why we debug.

Eric Hill
    • Marked as answer by marck68 Monday, September 1, 2008 1:53 PM
    Monday, September 1, 2008 1:47 PM

All replies

• I think you'll need to provide a little more information than "it crashes".  Is the correct version of the .NET Framework installed on the XP box?  That's where I'd start.

You don't need Visual Studio installed on the XP box to debug it.  You can just install the remote debugging monitor on the XP box and debug it from your Vista box.  Google "Visual Studio setup remote debugging" and you'll get some help setting that up.

Eric
    Eric Hill
    Monday, September 1, 2008 3:29 AM
  • HI Eric

Yep the correct .net framework has been installed on the xp box.

thanks for the advice

i will try it

Monday, September 1, 2008 4:43 AM
  • Is it possible that one wpf application will not work on xp while it will be able to run properly in vista despite on both computers the framework version is the same?
    Monday, September 1, 2008 9:04 AM
  • The WPF apps that I have worked on, which are limited to a small number of proof-of-concept apps, I have always been able to copy from my XP box to my Vista box or vice-versa and they've worked fine.  But that doesn't mean it's not possible to create an app that would work on Vista and not XP.  That's why we debug.

Eric Hill
    • Marked as answer by marck68 Monday, September 1, 2008 1:53 PM
    Monday, September 1, 2008 1:47 PM
  • so we need to do double work.

I created an application that was working very well with the net framework3.5 on xp as well as vista

when i installed the framework 3.5 sp1 on both computers it started to crash on XP.

when are we going to get rid of XP?
    Monday, September 1, 2008 1:55 PM