ExecuteRemoteAction function unavailable on Remote Desktop Client (WinJS)

Question

• Hello,

My WinJS app uses the Remote Desktop Client ActiveX control in order to access applications running on remote machines.

I'm having a problem with executing remote actions, as documented here.

myClientControlObject.actions.ExecuteRemoteAction(actionType);

The above line of code results in an error, because the "myClientControlObject.actions.ExecuteRemoteAction" function is "undefined" at runtime.

The client OS is Windows RT 8.0 (Running on a Windows Surface device), and the target machine runs Windows Server 2012.

Any ideas to what might be causing this issue?

-Paul

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:57 PM

Answers

• As it turns out, this is indeed only for Windows Store apps, and is not equivalent to pressing Alt+Tab over the desktop.

• Marked as answer by paulkore Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:05 PM

All replies

• It sounds like a server setting is missing on the target server. Can you remote into a Windows 8/8.1 client OS from the same app and ExecuteRemoteAction to a client OS? I just tried doing the same using the Remote Desktop Client API sample, Scenario 3 and was able to send the remote action to a Windows 8 machine. I don't have a 2012 server handy, but it sounds like you need to enable some setting on 2012.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Hi Prashant,

I've tried the same against a 2nd machine running Windows Server 2012, as well as a machine running Windows 8... so far without success. (my client machine is a Windows Surface device running Windows RT 8.0)

But perhaps I'm trying to use the feature improperly. I'll give you more detail on what I'm trying to achieve: 

(Referring to the RemoteActionType documentation)

RemoteActionAppSwitch

Causes the application switch window to be displayed in the remote session. This is the same as the user pressing Alt+Tab.

Basically I'm trying to simulate an Alt-Tab in order to cycle through the windows that are open in the remote desktop, using the following code:

myClientControlObject.actions.ExecuteRemoteAction(4);

I have also noticed this:

Minimum supported server

Windows Server 2012 [Windows Store apps only]

But I'm not sure whether the Alt-Tab functionality is relevant to "Windows Store apps only".

Are you able to do this on your end?

Best Regards,

-Paul

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:09 PM
  • As it turns out, this is indeed only for Windows Store apps, and is not equivalent to pressing Alt+Tab over the desktop.

• Marked as answer by paulkore Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:05 PM