none
Multiple Instrumented Windows Service Instances from One Project RRS feed

• Question

• I have one Windows Service project, say GatherData.vbproj.  I would like to assign the <Assembly: Instrumented()> namespace during installation, so I can install multiple instrumented services from this one project.

Can I put this namespace in the app.config file or as an installutil.exe parameter.

I'm thinking the ProjectInstaller can get the namespace, wherever it came from, and assign it during installation.

For example, the namespaces might be:

• GatherData 9111
    • GatherData 9112
    • GatherData 9113
    • etc.

I know I can do multiple projects, but prefer one project and one service Exe.

Using InstallUtil.Exe is not necessary, just thought I would need to go that route.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 11:56 AM

All replies

• Hello Lanis Ossman,

This forum is for "Discuss general issues about developing applications for Windows." It is Win32 C++ focused.

It seems a .Net related issue so I'll move it to .Net forum for more professional support.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 5, 2020 6:06 AM
  • Hi Lanis Ossman,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on my research, I find two related references about installing multiple instances of the same windows service.

1. Installing multiple instances of the same windows service on a server
    2. How to create multiple instance of Windows Service?

Hope the suggestions in them could be helpful.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 5, 2020 7:28 AM