Trying to build a form that ties to a data base RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, I am new to all of this and I was hoping someone could give some guidance on if I am even on the correct path but I am looking to create some sort of app/software that helps with file managament at work. We have a form that we fill out and has to be sent to a handful of people to review and complete before being signed and filed. It was a manual process originally where the form was filled out by hand and the pink and yellow carbon copies were distributed to the correct people. We are moving it to an electronic form as a word document but the problem is that it relies on people remembering to check in the folder to see if there are any outstanding/open forms to process as well as remember to include the correct people on the emails. Then the in process form needs to be stored somewhere until it is completed and then deleted once the form has been completed and signed by each department.

I was thinking that it should be very possible to have an automated form that you open the app/software/form and it prompts you to answer a set of questions that would fill out the first portion of the form. Then hit finished and the form automatically gets sent to specific email inboxes for the next person to complete their portion. Each person just answers prompts and at the end the app would automatically move the process to the next person. The last step, once everyone has contributed their portion, would be to review and release the document to which it would store the document in a specified location and send a message to a list of people that the document has been released and that process is completed and closed.

As I type that out I am guessing this is definitely way over my head but I am wondering does anyone know if this is feasible? Is there somewhere I can go to pay to have someone reputable build this custom system for me or maybe something like this exists already to purchase?

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Thursday, July 16, 2020 3:38 PM

Answers

• P-Engineer,

One of the places that I always go to figure out how to do something or fix something that I don't know how to do is YouTube. You will find a ton of videos about whatever you want. I just looked and there is tutorials on word using macros and for visual basic for applications (VBA). I would suggest that would be a good place to start your search.

JR

Friday, July 17, 2020 7:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• (Translated by Google translator)

Hey.

I am not a professional in automation. But, if I wanted to do such a job, then I would look at the site https://www.robot-soft.com/

There, people take an order to create automation programs. Or you can buy their software, using which you yourself can do automation.

Thursday, July 16, 2020 6:00 PM
  • P-Engineer,

It would seem like you should be able to do what your wanting to do within word. It does have email capability and as you said you have it as a word document. Word has built in signature capability and that's how they could sign. Word also has Macro capability where it can probably be programmed to do exactly what you want it to do. You said you have a small group and maybe you just forward the form to each person. The person then fills out his portion and signs then sends it on to the next person. At the end have it come back to a central point. From there an email could go out that it is signed off and filed.

JR

Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey, Thank you for the insight! I will dig into that a little more. I have done a few basic macros in Excel before. Would you be able to send me towards any good tutorials are instructions that would send me down that path?

Thanks again

Friday, July 17, 2020 7:03 PM
  • P-Engineer,

One of the places that I always go to figure out how to do something or fix something that I don't know how to do is YouTube. You will find a ton of videos about whatever you want. I just looked and there is tutorials on word using macros and for visual basic for applications (VBA). I would suggest that would be a good place to start your search.

JR

Friday, July 17, 2020 7:30 PM
    Answerer