A little confused about the touch requirements and their support

Question

• For my app, I have a simple game where the player controls a tank with the arrow keys and shoots with space bar.  I know touch is a requirement for the application on the store.  My question is when they say touch does that mean touch computers?  Or touch like tablet touch?  I am still a little confused how distribution works and wanted some clarity on what microsoft expects of their applications.  If it is a touch computer the ui would of course be different than a touch tablet or a touch laptop tablet combo like the Lenovo one.

Thanks
    Monday, December 03, 2012 7:28 PM

Answers

• It must be playable on a computer with a touch screen and no keyboard.

I'm not sure what you mean by the difference between a touch computer, a touch tablet, or a touch laptop tablet combo. The UI would likely be the same regardless of form factor, but you may want to make on-screen controls optional so a user who has and prefers a keyboard doesn't see them, but a user who wants to use the on-screen controls can light them up.

Remember that any given device may sometimes, always, or never have either a keyboard available and that touch may be available for any form factor.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:27 AM
    Owner

All replies

• It must be playable on a computer with a touch screen and no keyboard.

I'm not sure what you mean by the difference between a touch computer, a touch tablet, or a touch laptop tablet combo. The UI would likely be the same regardless of form factor, but you may want to make on-screen controls optional so a user who has and prefers a keyboard doesn't see them, but a user who wants to use the on-screen controls can light them up.

Remember that any given device may sometimes, always, or never have either a keyboard available and that touch may be available for any form factor.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:27 AM
    Owner
  • Hi timetopat,

Please explain in more detail what you are looking for. Please don't unmark answers without explaining how the answer missed the mark.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:45 PM
    Owner
  • how about game that simply requires a mouse because they need permission how to handle such games in windows store?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:33 PM
  • That would fail 3.5 Your app must fully support touch input, and fully support keyboard and mouse input .

Your app needs to work with just a keyboard or just touch. This is an accessibility issue as well as a usability issue.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:53 PM
    Owner
  • Hey Rob,
    Sorry for unmarking your answer.  I didn't read that it said unmark and thought it said mark as answer.  I accidentally skimmed through it, instead of reading more closely. I am new to the msdn model of questions and answers and thought it worked like stack overflow where it has to be marked.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 2:45 PM