none
How to stop a compact/repair? RRS feed

• Question

• I attempted to run a compact/repair on a back-end database. It ran forever and then stopped responding. I then realized I do not have delete permissions on the folder which is needed for this operation. I cancelled the compact/repair but the database.mdb file the compact/repair creates is still there. When I try to open the front end, the compact/repair operation restarts and runs forever and then stops responding. Is there any way to fix this? I cannot delete the databse.mdb file as I do not have delete permissions.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 3:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

It seems more a OS permission issue. Perhaps try to move the DB temporarily to another folder,  run compact and repair and then move it back to its original location ?

This may come handy : Scheduled backups, compact repair. 

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 1:28 AM
  • You may need to get help from someone with the right permissions.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:54 AM
  • You don't have "delete" permission. Do you have "rename" permission?" Just thinking out loud...
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 3:02 PM
  • hmmm coitus interruptus...... given you are dead in the water - I would restart the compact - although the PC can appear truly to be not responding it sometimes is still churning - there really is no downside at this point....

I've worked on some dbs linked to excels with 500k+ records and experienced the same phenomena of no response for awhile - - a machine with gobs of RAM generally performs better - so there may be hope that the compact will complete eventually.....

I would also copy the primary DB file to another PC and open it to see if it is ok.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 4:13 PM